• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing the Hatch Lens on my E 25+

mainesailor

I'd like to replace the crazed lens on my '79 E 25+. Is this a job I can do myself? Are there some specific resources where I might find what type of hatch it is and who might be able to supply me with a new lens?

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Search is your friend for the many prior threads on this so simply put the following in the search box:
hatch lens replace

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Ought to be a breeze since there is not a frame to strip, fit, seal, etc. It's probably 1/2 or 3/4" and acrylic by the look of the crazing. Ought to cost less than $30-$40 at a plastic supplier such as http://www.plasticsupplyofmaine.com/about.html

Lay the old piece on the new to match drill and get the edges in the right places. Get some extra material to practice drilling and do some Googling if you don't know how. It's important to cut the holes so keep the drill bit cool and do not let the plastic melt.

If you are uncomfortable actually making the lens, I'm sure a place like the link above could do that for you too.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good, that's pretty close to the standard Lewmar hatches for which the lenses have been successfully switched out by many of us.

Boilerplate: You can send your entire hatch to Select Plastics/HatchMasters in Connecticut for repair. Very expensive, new hatch becomes viable alternative. They also sell the seal and repair kits for many old hatches and are a good information resource.

Probably you can replace the lenses yourself for a few hundred bucks.

If the new acrylic matches the thickness of the old acrylic, things go easier. Depends on what remnants your local plastics retailer has lying around. A new 4x8 sheet of acrylic is expensive.

Last edited:

mainesailor

Ought to be a breeze since there is not a frame to strip, fit, seal, etc. It's probably 1/2 or 3/4" and acrylic by the look of the crazing. Ought to cost less than $30-$40 at a plastic supplier such as http://www.plasticsupplyofmaine.com/about.html

Lay the old piece on the new to match drill and get the edges in the right places. Get some extra material to practice drilling and do some Googling if you don't know how. It's important to cut the holes so keep the drill bit cool and do not let the plastic melt.

If you are uncomfortable actually making the lens, I'm sure a place like the link above could do that for you too.
Thanks! It's a half inch thick for sure. I'll check out the link you sent and see what they say. If it's a Lewmar maybe I can find the gasket and seals through them too.

EGregerson

Member III
Norva plastics in Norfolk, VA cut me 3 new hatch lenses for $149 total including drilled holes; 2074 gray Plexiglas 4 years ago. No leaks so far; still look great. good luck.

Attachments

• 12 new mid hatch.jpg
    12 new mid hatch.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 13 forward hatch installed.jpg
    13 forward hatch installed.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 16

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
To include the drilled holes and not having to take the risk of scrapping a piece that is a great price!