• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Universal with Yanmar 2YM15 Ericson 30+

Montana

Considering replacing original Universal atomic on my 1980 Ericson 30+ with a new Yanmar 2YM15. Has anybody done this? Issues with doing so? Thoughts or recommendations appreciated

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is your current engine a gasoline or diesel? (Universal used the same nomenclature for both in the late 70's)

If you currently have a gas aux, you will need to upgrade the fuel tank fittings, but then after all these decades it's time to carefully go over the tank anyway.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
HI,

I have that same Universal 5416 diesel engine in our 1984 E30+, with 2,611 engine hours on it and still going strong. These were well-built engines and parts are still quite readily available. Have you considered having yours rebuilt? It would likely be less expensive than a new install, especially if you have to modify the engine bed and mounting brackets. Just a thought....

Frank

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Of course a lot depends on your mechanical skills and willingness to get down and dirty. As Frank said these engines are well built and easily rebuilt. I tackled my M-12, but it was my forth rebuild and I already had the tools and basic knowledge. That said it is not that hard of a process even the first time around.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Before you replace the engine, consider doing a compression check and a leak down test. If both are in the normal range, the engine is not "tired". The injectors and glow plugs do wear out along with, eventually the starter and fuel pump. all are relatively easy to replace and inexpensive if bought at the Kubota Tractor dealer. The huge plus of the Universal and Beta engines is that they are tractor blocks and the parts are 1/4 the price if bought at the Kubota Dealer rather than the Universal or Beta Dealer. We sailors get ripped off by our suppliers. All the parts for the other engines are only available through the dealers and they rip you off. Other than that, the Yanmar is a good engine

Last edited:

Phil Adams

Member I
I fitted a Yanmar 2YM15 on Trithena (Ericson 27) a couple of years ago and its a lovely little engine & easy to install. Also upgraded to a flexible coupling and PSS dripless seal at the same time which made for a neat installation and started up first time out of the box! I've no hesitation in recommending this motor

Attachments

• 20160226_135136_resized.jpg
    20160226_135136_resized.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20160226_135210_resized.jpg
    20160226_135210_resized.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 32

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very Tidy installation!
Is it pretty quiet w/o the usual foil-face foam sound insulation?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I fitted a Yanmar 2YM15 on Trithena (Ericson 27) a couple of years ago and its a lovely little engine & easy to install. Also upgraded to a flexible coupling and PSS dripless seal at the same time which made for a neat installation and started up first time out of the box! I've no hesitation in recommending this motor
That looks really sweet. Did you have to modify the engine stringers?

Phil Adams

Member I
That looks really sweet. Did you have to modify the engine stringers?
Thanks Alan, Motor came with new engine mounts so I made two flat plates to take new mounts and these bolted down using old holes. Very little difference for alignment really so this was sorted with some shims and on the flexible coupling.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Alan, Motor came with new engine mounts so I made two flat plates to take new mounts and these bolted down using old holes. Very little difference for alignment really so this was sorted with some shims and on the flexible coupling.
Outstanding! Getting the geometry right can often be quite a pain.

hodo

Member III
Be aware, check out the power curves, rpms, transmission setup. You may need to change out prop, or adjust if like a Max prop.