• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Repower advice

Glory27

I'm looking to re power my 1973 27' with an inboard diesel. It currently has a 9.9 Honda outboard. Can anyone recommend a good diesel motor that will fit my boat? Any other advice welcome

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A friend of mine repowered his E-27 with a single cylinder Yanmar, many years ago, when the original A4 died.
The only (minor) regret he ever had was not putting in a twin.
Does your boat have provision for an inboard, from the factory?

I would bet that a modern two-cylinder diesel would fit very well.
Another way to view it would be to find an engine of around 14 hp or so. I like the Betamarine product, but lots of sailors are happy with Yanmars too.

Glory27

A friend of mine repowered his E-27 with a single cylinder Yanmar, many years ago, when the original A4 died.
The only (minor) regret he ever had was not putting in a twin.
Does your boat have provision for an inboard, from the factory?

I would bet that a modern two-cylinder diesel would fit very well.
Another way to view it would be to find an engine of around 14 hp or so. I like the Betamarine product, but lots of sailors are happy with Yanmars too.
Thanks Loren. I have heard of the Yanmars. Yes my boat originally had an atomic 4 I think. Im sure a 2 cylinder yanmar would fit. Not sure about the transmission and or how much it will cost.

Sailingfun

Member III
I strongly suggest beta marine diesel. I tough long and hard regarding repower my E27 and check every single-engine. The second option, a full electric repower.
Install a diesel beta marine could cost around $15K (bay are prices) and electric around $10K with a good battery pack.
Keep us posted! Repower a sailboat is always an adventure!

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Yeah, these old boats are an engine surrounded by a boat. My A4 runs great- for the time being. After much research I decided if this engine ever died I'd go with electric. I also only use it in and out of the marina. No long runs. Heavens! It's a sailboat!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are several of us "vikings" that have posted up our Betamarine repowering projects here in the last several years, one was in the San Juan's. You should peruse these stories to get an idea of what goes into this. I equate it to re-rigging a sailboat, mast and all.... i.e. changing out one of the two main profusion systems that the boat has. I have several blog entries about this.
If you love your boat, this will go far to making it "like new" for a fraction of the cost of a new sailboat of similar displacement, quality, and function.

Sailingfun

Member III
There are several of us "vikings" that have posted up our Betamarine repowering projects here in the last several years, one was in the San Juan's. You should peruse these stories to get an idea of what goes into this. I equate it to re-rigging a sailboat, mast and all.... i.e. changing out one of the two main profusion systems that the boat has. I have several blog entries about this.
If you love your boat, this will go far to making it "like new" for a fraction of the cost of a new sailboat of similar displacement, quality, and function.

I would disagree with you... repower is something similar to a colonoscopy... a long, hard, painful one... At the moment you sign the contract with a yard or mechanic to help with the installation, you can see clearly your money draining away for multiples holes... parts, accessories, mechanic hours, more parts, more accessories... think twice and go electric ;)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Your experiences, while valid for your area, are rather different than mine. I paid cash for the total engine package in-a-crate, and then negotiated a install contract for a near-fixed amount with a good ship wright.... and then did a lot of the 'grunt' work myself. We changed the engine out at our slip.
There is at least one large yard in my area, tho, that might do just about what you are describing. I try to avoid their "services."

The total labor bill did grow some, but that was my choice -- updating electrical and piping stuff that can be best done while the engine compartment is empty.
I did a little glass work, and installed new sound deadening, and then reformatted the fuel supply and filter system.
IF...... I had to pay a commercial yard for the whole thing, it would have probably added another 4 or 5K to the project. :(

Good thing your sailing area is a paradise compared to our river venue! Everything's a compromise, as the saying goes.