• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Results of fuel filter change--should it affect frequency?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

I changed the Racor primary fuel filter, secondary fuel filter and replaced the electric fuel lift pump on our 1984 E30+ today, and was a bit surprised at what I found.

The Racor filter had been replaced two years ago, 311 engine hours ago (total engine hours now are 1023). The clear bowl never shows any water, and when I emptied fuel from the filter, I found a small number of dark particles each about 1/16" in size which the filter had filtered out. The inside of the filter showed a small area of brown discoloration on one side of the inside of the fuel filter, otherwise it looked white and clean.

When I emptied the secondary fuel filter, there was no sign of any particles or impurities, so I kept it as a backup spare in the event of an emergency.

The filter inside the electric fuel lift pump had only collected a very small number of pin head size particles. I was replacing it because it was at least 25 years old and I am told that these engines will stall if the fuel pump stops working. So I cleaned it up and am keeping it as a spare backup as well, in case the new one fails for some reason.

I had expected to find more "crud" in the filters after two years and 311 engine hours. My conclusion is that given that the engine has run properly for the past two years and the fuel filters looked cleaner than I had anticipated, the interval of two years and 311 engine hours between filter changes doesn't seem too long. I don't think I would leave it longer (the secondary filter has a note on it to change it every 200 hours, the Racor every 500 hours but my engine manual says to change them at least once a year), nor do I think I would do it more often. I try to be very careful as to where I get fuel, and always add Biobar to kill algae critters and Stanadyne; I am considering changing to Startron.

On a related topic, I do change the oil and filter about every 75 hours, about twice per season, as I think the quality of the oil does affect engine longevity.

I would be interested in what others think on this, and how often you change these filters.

Frank

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I only change fuel filters when they need it. It can be years between changes. I don't really understand why they need to be changed for "PM" reasons. If they are not clogged, show no sign of water, debris, etc. why change them? Many will say, "You have never had a fuel problem" and they would be correct. However, explain to me how simply changing a filter fixes a fuel problem, or more importantly, wards one off? I check the fuel bowl every time I use the boat when I check the oil. Monitored closely, there is no reason to change filters based on hours alone.

Flame suit on!

RT

Frank Langer

Hi Rob,

I agree with the approach you described in your post, but how can you tell what's going on inside the filter? In the Racor filter it was possible to see a bit of brown staining on one side, but the secondary fuel filter is fully enclosed, so without breaking it apart, I'm not sure how one could check it to determine if it is getting clogged. Any tips?

Frank

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I checked my Facet pump filter last weekend and there was very little in it; pretty much like Frank experienced. The rubber gasket in the bottom clearly needs to be replaced as it was distorted and cracked, but surprisingly not leaking.

When I put it back together I was concerned that I didn't hear the typical clicking sound I usually hear from the pump, but I ran the engine for 20 minutes and it didn't die so I guess the pump is working?

I ordered a new filter and gasket kit from Aircraft Spruce for $7.07 including tax and shipping and got it in two days. Need to install that this weekend.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, the diesels I have experience with give warning as the filter plugs up. They won't rev up, lack power, etc. My wife's TDI did this about a year ago when we were on a road trip after filling up. Pulled over, primed the new filter with fuel additive, since that is what I had, installed it and away we went, problem solved.

There is TONS of capacity in a Racor 500. I think they are rated at 60 GALLONS an hour. Our little diesels flow so little fuel the filter will last a long, long time before it restricts flow. Or it will have excess capacity should you pick up a bad load of fuel, also a good thing.

A fuel starved diesel doesn't run right. The first step in troubleshooting ANY diesel that doesn't run right is changing the fuel filters. If the problem goes away, there you go.

Regarding the secondary filter, I think of that as vestigial or a last resort/hail mary device. The Racor at 10 microns is overkill as it is.

RT

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Thanks, Rob, that's helpful. I have the smallest Racor filter, I think it's the
R12S but I'm not at the boat at the moment. I think I recall that it filters to 2 microns. Do you know what it's capacity is, compared to the Racor 500 that you mentioned in your post?

Frank

markvone

Sustaining Member
Racor 120 Flow Capacity

Just for reference and to make this older thread more useful to other searchers:

Parker lists the Racor 120A and B as 15 or 20 GPM. I'll bet the single port is 15, double port is 20.

Mark

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I only change fuel filters when they need it. It can be years between changes. I don't really understand why they need to be changed for "PM" reasons. If they are not clogged, show no sign of water, debris, etc. why change them? Many will say, "You have never had a fuel problem" and they would be correct. However, explain to me how simply changing a filter fixes a fuel problem, or more importantly, wards one off? I check the fuel bowl every time I use the boat when I check the oil. Monitored closely, there is no reason to change filters based on hours alone.

Flame suit on!

RT

Clogged or not, doesn't the filter material itself start to break down at some point?

clp

Member III
Yep. It's little more than cardboard, and a paper product generally..

I've pulled them out of heavy diesels that looked like mush.

(NOT at a couple hundred hours mind you, I'm talking serious neglect)..

Last edited: