• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Reworked DC panel wiring on a 32-3

peaman

Sustaining Member
I was appalled, a year ago, only weeks after closing on my boat, when I looked at the wiring behind the DC breaker panel. With inspiration and guidance from posts on this forum, I have recently completed the transformation to (IMHO) a respectable wiring situation.

BEFORE:
IMG_2403.JPG

AFTER:
IMG_2924.JPG
I installed the two terminal strips for all out-going wiring, with all wires labelled. Some wires have the crude vinyl taped flags for labels, but later, I used a proper label maker which really contributed a lot to this and other wiring locations, in terms of neatness and professional appearance. At left is a ground strip, and another one was installed directly above it to accept all of the many ground wires from the original build.

I am really pleased with the eventual result, and I have confidence that the completed project will serve me well going forward.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Wow!! Well done!! I'm a bit envious, and wish I had the skill, and patience, to do that. :)
Frank
Thanks, Frank.

The work seemed much more daunting before I started than it should have. Obviously, the trick is to label everything as it gets disconnected. In the "before" situation, all wires, (+) and (-), were connected to the breaker panel. Just moving all of the ground wires to a new terminal strip greatly reduced the apparent chaos and congestion in the compartment. It also made it much easier to move and position the panel as needed, once the big stiff battery negative lead was move from the panel to the ground strip.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Nice work! Always good to see a little order come out of chaos. Anyone have an electrical plan for a 38-200 with engine below the companionway? I looked through the resources and couldn’t find one. I feel like it might be nice to have a starting point or example of what others have done before diving into this project.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Nice job and definitely on my to do list for my E32. But I was also thinking about making a wood frame for the panel so that it could be hinged to swing out or down so when I'd need to get behind the panel it wouldn't be laying on my lap or hanging by it's wires.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Nice job and definitely on my to do list for my E32. But I was also thinking about making a wood frame for the panel so that it could be hinged to swing out or down so when I'd need to get behind the panel it wouldn't be laying on my lap or hanging by it's wires.
I considered this as well, and it would be cool to see it well executed. As you know, there are two different panel layouts on the 32-3, one with the DC panel above the AC, with the battery selector switch on the DC panel. Mine has the DC panel below the AC, with the battery selector near the floor, facing the engine cover. In the latter case, a simple frame and hinge would require cutting away part of the nav table trim to provide clearance (or else inadequate clearance if the hinge were on the forward side of the panel). I couldn't see an easy way to make it look and work right. Good luck!

nquigley

Sustaining Member
My battery selector is in the DC panel is it’s not possible to hinge that panel (battery cables are too stiff and short)

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
My battery selector is in the DC panel is it’s not possible to hinge that panel (battery cables are too stiff and short)
My battery selector is in the DC panel as well. While the stiffness of the battery cables is a problem, I've found there actually is a bit of slack in them and I can raise/lower them a bit through the holes they pass through below the panel.

20200430_184518.jpg 20200521_234707.jpg

I haven't given up on the "someday" idea of a re-wired and hinged panel.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I haven't given up on the "someday" idea of a re-wired and hinged panel.
Well, just do not become "unhinged" over this! (sorry, but someone had to say it...)

FWIW, our '88 panel has a piano hinge along the bottom of the plywood and turn buttons to hold the top closed.