• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Riding Sail for E-38

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Anyone have one? Did you make or buy? How do you mount it? Do you have a bimini back there too? I want to make one but am struggling as I have a bimini and if I use the main halyard the boom bounces around some on the rigid vang spring. As most owners will I'm sure agree the E-38 can sail around a bit at anchor in a breeze.

Shadowfax

Member III
I have one. I bought it off the net, but they are easily made.

I have a Bimini. I use the main halyard to the top of the sail, tie the bottom back of it to the boom end and run a line from the front of the sail to the goose neck and tie it off. This gives you the ability to move the boom around to set up the sail, then set the boom to the center line.

The sail works better off the back stay but is harder to set up with the Bimini up. The difference is slight so we run off the boom for the ease of set up.

YMMV

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks. I just email the pdf diagram in the other thread to my sailmaker. Will see if he can turn it around in time. Other wise I'll probably make somethign out out the piles of green sunbrella I have... (Dont ask)

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sent the PDF to sailmaker, Tad Hutchins at Quantum. Looking at about $250. Having them reinforce the luff with dyneema. Plan to attach tack to end of boom, head to main halyard, and clew will get led to gooseneck area. The reason for the dyneema in the luff is that with a rigid vang I eliminated the topping lift but use the main halyard to secure the boom from bouncing on the vang spring. With the riding sail in place the boom will still need to be snugged up and the luff will take the load, ergo dyneema. Will post a photo when I get the sail installed.

celtium

Member III
Sailrite

I bought mine through Sailrite. You can get it either pre-made or you can sew it together or I guess your sailmaker could. I think they did a great job!

Jay
E 38-200
SF Bay