• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rig tension for E25

Jerry

Inactive Member
Being new to my E25 (#137) and and having owned only fractional rigs before, I have questions about several things. Because a masthead rig is new to me, I'll start with rig tuning. I've read the posts here and on several web sites where opinions vary widely. So, I started with the owners manual which states 0 rake and tension not to be "rod tight" (whatever that means). What I've done, as in the past, is to center the mast, adjust the forestay to set the rake, then adjust the uppers to about 15% or 500#s, set the lowers to something a little less (~450#). Finally, set the forestay and backstay so that the headstay tension is at 12% or 400#s while not changing the rake. Then comes the real test of proving the settings while sailing to check leeward shroud action and how the helm reacts which I plan to do today. The questions are: 1. Are these tensions in the ballpark 2. How much rake is recommended if I have lee helm 3. Best way to control mast bend (i.e., backstay adjuster)???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Tension

Jerry- I just make sure the stick is straight, tighten the uppers to taunt and the lowers slightly less. I have a furler and tighten the backstay to remove any foil bowwing. I have virtually no weather helm to speak of. The telephone pole that I have has no pre-bend, nor do I put any rake. When I have have water in the upper two bilges it drains back to the main in the cabin, all but a sponge full or two. The water entered only from running a hose in the cabin to clean the floor and scrub up the bilges other than that its a Mojave up there. Congrats on your new boat. Rob Hessenius