• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rigger, San Pedro/Long Beach

Jim Mobley

Member II
We need to replace all of the standing rigging on our boat and while we're at it we're going to internalize the halyards and update the outhaul and mainsail reefing. Also planning to paint the mast and boom.

I had been talking to Jib Kelly at Kelly Marine, but they seem to be too busy right now.

Pedro Vargas is going to have a look at the boat today. Has anyone had him do any work? Any comments welcome. Any other recommendations for riggers?

Thanks.:egrin:

Don Taugher

Member II
Jim:

I just used Todd Whitley at Bahia Marine Rigging ( 562) 799-7444 in Seal Beach for some work on my E38. Todd works fast and is very knowledgeable. I imagine most of the good ones are busy at this time.

Another suggestion, about 8 years ago I did all the stuff on my E29 that you are planning to do, I used the rigger at Marina Shipyard in Long Beach, his office is just outside the gate of the shipyard. I think his name is Rick (not sure on this however), I was pleased with his work. If interested contact Marina Rigging (562) 431-2669.

Don Taugher
E-38 Running Free
Alamitos Bay

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Todd is the man

Jim,

Jib Kelly is very good, but the name I would suggest (like Don) is Todd Wheatley (that is how it is spelled).

I have known Todd since we worked and sailied together on Running Tide back in the late 70's-Todd ran the boat back then-'Tide was one of the true "gold platers" of the IOR heyday, and his job was one of the most prestgious in the "boat professional" business-which is a long way of saying he is very, very good.

That is my recommendation, and please let him know I say "wassupp" and highly recommended him.

Cheers,
S

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I totally agree with Seth. Todd stepped and rigged my new spar from
scratch. He is very detail oriented- something I love and rarely find
in many people these days. I highly recommend him.

Martin
E31C
Alamitos Bay

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I got a great job and a good deal from Pedro Vargas. He replace all standing rigging, re wired and LP painted the mast and boom as well as made stays for my radar mast. That was a great day when all that was done. The boat feels very strong. I have been sailing for two years with the new rigging.

Jim Mobley

Member II
Thanks for the input

Pedro was ready to go right away so we pulled the mast off the boat this Saturday. Some very bad photos attached. (Forgot the real camera, used cell phone, :esad: ) I'll follow up and let the group know how the job came out when it's finished.

Attachments

• 05-27-06_1030.jpg
    05-27-06_1030.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 05-27-06_1031.jpg
    05-27-06_1031.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 05-27-06_1037.jpg
    05-27-06_1037.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 127

Eddie 169

I got a great job and a good deal from Pedro Vargas. He replace all standing rigging, re wired and LP painted the mast and boom as well as made stays for my radar mast. That was a great day when all that was done. The boat feels very strong. I have been sailing for two years with the new rigging.
What was the price for the replacement rigging job and painting and stays for the radar mast?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What was the price for the replacement rigging job and painting and stays for the radar mast?
Enough time has passed that you would have to adjust any figure for inflation. I am not sure how often Jeff checks in here, either.
We built a new radar mast last year, and I documented some of that process in my blog-- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/carbon-fiber-radar-pole-project.822/

I had a professional painter do the multiple coats of undercoating and final clear coating I did most of the grunt work of sanding between coats.
Other blog entries will show the socket inside the transom.