• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rigging adjustment on my E 27'

pcb don

Member II
I'm pulling the mast once I put her back in the water and will be replacing the rigging as well as a host of other things. My question is the specks call for the mast to go aft 6". I'll drop a plum bob to see where she's at now, but my reason for asking is I suspect that she's raked more than 6" as the aft
turn buckle adjustment is full aft. I'll need to hear some ideas as to the 6' to be able to properly order the correct length stays.
Thanks,
Don

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Rake

Hi Don,

Do you have any other reason to think you have more than 6" of rake besides the TB being cranked down? Actually this means nothing since it has stretched over the years, and who knows if it was cut right when it was installed in the first place..

The only way to know is to do the measurement.

As for the magic 6", this is just a rough guide. If you sail in very light air most of the time, go a little more aft. If you live in a breezy area, go a little less. even more important, the ideal rake will also depend on how your boat is loaded fore and aft, so you need to go sailing in average conditions with the boat the way you want it loaded. Set yourself up for upwind trim, and get in the "groove".

Let go of the tiller or wheel (if a wheel make sure the friction brake is totally loose), and the boat should track straight in 0-6 knots of TWS (or so), and very slowly head up into the wind in any more breeze.

If the boat bears away, you need more aft rake. If it snaps up into the wind and wants to tack, you need less rake.

This is assuming you had the sails correctly set and trimmed when you do this.

Hope this helps and good luck!

S

pcb don

Member II
Thanks Seth, I'll be putting her back in the water next week so I'll have a better idea where the mast sits.