• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rigging part needed

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I just returned from racing the Dauphin Island race Mobile Bay. On the return trip I lost a bottom half of a turnbuckle for my E29. The pin is 5/16 and the threads are left-hand 3/8 thread. See attachment.

If you have this piece off your rigging you replaced I would like to work out a deal.

770-574-5709

Attachments

• Turnbuckle and toggle.JPG
    Turnbuckle and toggle.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 53

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
You might check with Minney's in Costa Mesa, CA. I was there a couple of months ago and saw several of those Navtec fittings; they may have the size you need. I would also double check the pin size; 5/16" doesn't sound right. Seems like it should be 3/8". When I checked my intermediate shrouds the specs in the Documents section of this site indicated 7/16" for my pin, but when I measured it with a caliper it was 3/8". My boat is the 30+.

http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Navtec note

Apropos this particular Navtec turnbuckle part....
Be aware that in the late 70's or early 80's Navtec recalled a large number of these units because they found that the SS alloy they had used was prone to galling. I personally know of one rig that went over the side due to the threaded stud snapping without any warning.

Clear into the late 80's the company was replacing turnbuckles or parts thereof as owners would contact them. Of course later the company was bought up by Lewmar... and all this is now a foot note in history.

No big deal.... until you walk into any marine consignment store and notice the piles of old (questionable!) rigging parts for sale.
:rolleyes:

Loren

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I saw something about that recall. I believe what they did was replace the stud section that connects the two turnbuckles with a bronze version. That is what is on my lower shrouds and cap shrouds.

BTW: Rigging Only has good prices and are very helpful. I've placed several orders with them recently.

Last edited: