• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rigging Question / Near Miss

Dave G

Member II
Hauled my E 29 out for fresh bottom paint and to replace bad wiring in the mast this past week. The haulout was a little more exciting than I originally planned. We had a crane set up to unstepp the mast while we were still in the water. All was going well as we loosened all the turnbuckles in preperation for lifting the mast. As I put wrenches to the forestay turn buckle it snapped right in half! Upon inspection it is clear the threaded end was corroded more than halfway through! This could have been a major disatser! Luckily the lowers were still connected as this is a deck stepped mast and everything stayed upright.

As the crane lifted the mast, the mast step came with it, pulling four lag bolts out of the deck. Fortunately no serious damage to the deck.

We have had this boat for a bout a year, it appears that this was the original standing rigging, which makes it over 30 year old.

Obviously the haul out took a few more days than originally planned. The good news is all has been repaired and restored and the boat is back in the water where it belongs with nice shinny new rigging.

My question (finally) what is the proper tension for the new rigging? Should I purchase a Loos gage? What do I need to know and where can I get some good info?

Dave Green
E-29 Spirit
Bellingham, WA