• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rigging Services Available in Annapolis Area

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I have not been doing a lot of posting lately because I have been pretty busy changing jobs but I wanted to let you guys know I am now running a rigging shop in Annapolis and if anyone in the area is looking for help with their Ericson I/we can provide service. I dont want to cross any lines here on the list and am not intending to use the list here to solicit business but am happy to help fellow Ericson owners in the Chesapeake area. We do modern boats focusing on the cruisers, coastal and blue water as well as traditional rigging for schooners and gaff rigged boats. I also know a lot of the local shops for other services in this area and can help reccommend guys to avoid and those who have good reputations. Advice is always free if you want to stop by our shop or call. We are located on Edgewood road just before Bert Jabins yard. Phone is 410-626-6060, www.voyageundersail.com, tedreshetiloff@voyageundersail.com. Website still under construction and renovation...

u079721

Contributing Partner
Career move?

Ted,

I thought from before you were in the financial field, trading or financial planning or the like? What a fascinating career move. Care to share any particulars for other dreamers?

I was unemployed for about 2 1/2 years, during which time I considered all kinds of career moves from being a polymer scientist (the new steel industry, at least economically) to something related to sailing. But in depressed central Michigan I didn't figure there was enough traffic to make a go of it, so I stuck with the interviews (27 in all) and eventually found another position as a scientist.

Had I lived in Annapolis, the center of all things sailing, things might have ended differently

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I was working for Provident Bank managing the bank's investment portfolio and doing their wholesale funding. Live in Annapolis and was driving to Baltimore. Not a bad commute but was not a lot of opportunity for growth at the bank and '08 is going to be a bad year for banks. A friend of mine has been asking me for a while to come and work for him at his rigging company Southbound Cruising Services as he has had a lot of work and no one to run the office. I decided to take the plunge and left the bank. We set up a new shop and office off Edgewood road near Jabins yard which is a 2 minute drive from my house. Most of our services are offered on a mobile basis but the new shop allows us to do even more. We have a fabrication guy who is responsible for all of our stainless and aluminum work who is also a good friend of mine. He does bar none the best metal work in this area. Only trouble is he is one guy and gets overloaded with work quick. Right now we are building a complete set of spars and rigging for a 70' schooner along with several other complete re-rigs and lifeline jobs. We are rigging a Chesapeake Bugeye in St. Mikes with synthetic rigging which will be a lot lighter than wire but is still rated for 15yrs of service, titanium deadeyes are cool! We just finished an awesome double anchor roller in mirror finish stainless for a Tartan that came out really nice with a dedicated set up for flying an a-sail. Its a big career move for me but one that I think will keep me happy by allowing me to apply my knowledge and passion for sailing as well as my financial background with a great commute. Southbound has been in operation for the past 3 years hear in Annapolis but prior to that was based in Grand Cayman. Most of work is for cruisers and we did a lot for the 1500 rally that left this fall. Its been really fun so far and will hopefully be a great year. I am hoping we can also help out some fellow ericson owners with either work or suggestions.

lbertran

Member III
Hi, Ted

What awesome news! I'm sitting in my office in DC looking ahead to this evening's commute back to Annapolis...Edgewood Road looks pretty good from my vantage point. I'm trying to figure out how to do what you've done. Congratulations!

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Very Cool! Congrat's on your career move, Ted!

We'll be sure to pass it along when friends ask! (which is pretty often:egrin:)
Best,
Chris

Emerald

What awesome news! I'm sitting in my office in DC looking ahead to this evening's commute back to Annapolis...Edgewood Road looks pretty good from my vantage point. I'm trying to figure out how to do what you've done. Congratulations!

Do what I did - stopped being a beltway bandit and went to work for the other side at The County - just a quick trip up to Riva Road.

But I'm envious of Ted - Congrats on what you've done! You'd be a further commute from my house than Riva, but I could deal with the extra 5 minutes down Forest to be doing it with boats instead of computers :egrin:

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Ted,

You have seen the light. I left DC a couple of years ago for the Naval Academy and recovered a couple of hours a day. More time for winter boat fun and spring sailing. :egrin:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks guys for reminding me of all the great reasons I made this change. Another perk of course is regular sea trials and the opportunities to show folks just how easy their boats can be to sail short handed when they are rigged properly. A lot of the rigging changes I have made on Escape Plan were suggestions from Southbound Cruising and have really made my 38 easy to singlehand even with the kite.

Wednesday 70 degrees for some strange reason... Took out a Westsail 32 for a few hours. Blowing 20-25 with a few gusts to 35. Comfortable boat in those conditions but sure takes a lot more wind to make it go than any E-boat Ive been on:egrin: