• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rigging Tension At The Dock??

briangsmith

Member II
ok, i think i've got as pretty good handle now on
tensioning my rig (E-25 c/b)- but, i also read alot
that too much tension over time is not good on the
chainplates, hull, etc- undue strain and all that...

so, do people loosen the rig back up at the dock?
or is a correct all around tension for most sailing
conditions (i.e. 15 - 20 k here in homer, ak) ok to
leave for a season? and how about winter, in the
slip??

never received an answer on my question/post
from last week about mast rake on the E-25- i'll
slip that back into the mix too- my guess is that
we don't really want much of a rake with this rig?

thnx~
bgs

Shadowfax

Member III
I can't speak to mast rake on a E25. but there is probaly some. As to rigging tension, I set mine up in the spring and leave it for the season. In the fall when I put the boat up I loosen up everything just a bit. Nothing sloppy or you'll have it all down if it blows hard.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Rake and tension

I would guess about 1-2" of aft rake is about right, and NO fwd rake (unless you never sail to windward). Hang a weight on the end of the main halyard and let it hang just below the boom. The point where the halyard crosses the boom (measured from the aft side of the mast) is your approximate rake.

Generally speaking, and certainly for cruising sailors, you should not need to loosen the rigging while at rest-as long as you have it set up with a resonable load-which you can tell by watching the the mast and shrouds when sailing close hauled in about 10 kots of wind. Sighting up along the windward side of the mast and looking all the way up, the rig should be straight-not falling off to leeward at the top or middle, and the lee shrouds should be slighty loose-they should have no real load on them and be able to move at least an inch by gently pushing..

The only thing you might want to ease after sailing is the adjustable backstay if you have one. If you have put a lot of backstay on (for a windy day), just ease it off when you are done.

That should do it!

S

rssailor

Rig tension

Brian,
A little aft rake is no problem, it will help you point a bit better. Don't worry about the rig tension, tension the boat up for the conditions and leave it that way for the season. Not sure if you need to untension during the freezing winters. I leave my rig tension as is year around and only add or subtract as needed for sailing conditions. Gotta write myself a note to tension my rig a bit more. Good sailing. Ryan