• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rod Rigging Replacement Anyone ?

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
The next big ticket item on my refurbishment is the standing rigging. My E-33 has rod standing rigging (except for backstay which is cable). Worse case scenario it all needs to be replaced. The fittings are Navtec (now out of business) but I know of at least one company (Hayne Marine) who is manufacturing Navtec fittings. It should be possible to re-rig the boat with rod if original spec fittings are available.

Another possibility is to go with cable but that will require modifications to the mast accept new fittings (which I prefer not to do). Either way, I am having a pro rigger inspect and ultimately do the work, but I may participate in some of the (unskilled labor).

Does anyone have any recent experience replacing rod rigging on their Ericson ?

Bill Baum

Member II
K2M- I've also got an E33 with Navtec rod rigging. Every couple of years we inspect all the rod heads we can get at with an illuminated 50X loupe. The lower ends of the rods are easy even with the mast up (one at a time with halyard backup!!). We stored the boat on Lake Ontario this past winter, so we also got to look at the upper rod heads while the mast was out.

I don't really know whether these inspections should really give me any confidence in the rods or not. I don't see any cracks, everything looks the same three inspections in a row covering 6 years.

I have wondered about how to update this standing rigging. I would even consider going to all wire(both forestay and backstay are now wire), but the question is how new shrouds connect to the mast which has those large Navtec holes in it! Is there any problem with just welding plates over the Navtec holes? It seems to me I see a lot of masts which look like they just use half-inch through bolts supporting external shroud tangs.

I don't have a solution right now, and the mast just went up for another season....

I'm disappointed that no one has responded who has actually taken any action on the aging rods.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Hi Bill , I was in discussion with a local rigger. The problem with converting to wire is as you mention, you will have big holes left in the mast. I don’t know if the solution would be to weld plates over it ( and relocate the wire fittings ? ) - or try to keep the same geometry . It seems the best solution would be to replace the rod rigging with rod and find new replacement fittings . The rigger mentioned there is only one company making the navtec fittings ( they bought the license ) . It must be :
Assuming fittings are available , I think it’s the best way to go . It will probably cost more but I think the cost to convert to wire will not be cheap either . The new rod rigging should last another 10-15 years if maintained .

I don’t have any data in the quality/life of the hayn fittings or where they are being manufactured and whether they are as good as the navtec . That would be interesting to know.