• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Roller Furler Line Replacement

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I've been thinking about replacing my roller furling line (on an E323). Current line is 1/4" Sta-Set. The small size is a little tough on the hands when furling the jib in strong winds so I was thinking of going up a size to 5/16. I imagine 3/8 would be too large for the drum.

One of the Harken manuals says to use 7mm single-braid polyester, though the same guide says to use 7mm-double braid elsewhere in the manual. Seven millimetres would be in between the 1/4 and 5/16 diameters.

Was wondering what size/type line others recommend. Is it better to have a line that keeps its (round) shape, or one that flattens out a bit for coiling on the drum?

gadangit

Member III
This is a timely question for me as I am doing an inventory of lines to replace. Furling lines are one of the more critical on the boat and I was thinking of replacing my sta-set with a dyneema product of some kind. With dyneema we could go a bit smaller, but too small (as you note) is pretty tough on the hands.

Looking forward to seeing what others suggest.
Chris

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've been using 3/8th-inch NER Regatta Braid, just because I really really like the line. It has old-fashioned properties reminiscent of cotton--it falls in a heap, feels soft in the hand, and does the job well. It's a pleasure to deploy the Genoa with soft line, and it also stuffs happily into the line bag under its cleat.

Somewhat eccentric choice for the roller furler, but everybody should try a piece of this stuff anywhere you don't want or need stiff bulletproof line.

There is potential chafe on a roller furler line, but the forces on it are relatively small. It's hand-pull, winching discouraged, not at all like a sheet or halyard.

NER Regatta braid2.JPG...furler line bag cockpit.JPG

Last edited: