• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Roller Furler Line

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Is there some magic formula for figuring out how much line I need to furl a 150 for my E35-III? Does anyone know how much I might need and what size line? I usually use something like 1/2 inch becuase it is easy to handle.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Egads! 1/2" line?? Mine is setup with 1/4" line on a 130% genoa and the drum is pretty full. I don't think that 1/2" would come close to fitting on mine. Profurl 42 unit. No idea on length though. RT

jkm

Member III
I also use a 1/4' line for furling.

Even in December my hands have no problem gripping that diameter line, course on Casco Bay my hands would be numb from the cold and I'd need a 1" rope.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
No problem with the 1/4" line. You really shouldn't have to use a winch with a roller furler setup. Mine is a little tough to get moving when its really blowing but once its past the 25% point its a piece of cake. RT

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Tim,
I presume you do not have a furler and are about to install one. I will measure the length of mine and let you know. May go to the boat this pm for an evening race. Will try for the photo's you requested earlier as well if time permits.

Emerald

Hi,

I would really call whoever made it and ask them. The drum is probably designed for a certain line diameter, and some systems even decore part of the line. I have found the manufacturer really is your best and easiest bet on sorting something like this out.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Minimally you need:
length of the foot plus
distance from cleat to furler plus
enough to cleat plus
enough to yank on when it's on the spool plus
a little bit more to account for the thickness of the layers wrapping on the spool

If it were me I'd probably simulate it with a cheap clothes line first. I think ours is only about a 5/16".

treilley said:
But shouldn't the length of the line be based on the foot of the sail?

Last edited:

bigtyme805

Member III
I am telling you, riggers say 1 1/2 times the the length of boat. I had a new roller furling put on 8 months ago with a new 150 and this rigger I employed to put it on decided to go with what he deemed enough line had to replace the line because he shorted it by 2ft. I asked him what happened and he said that he had some extra harken line and he really thought it would work. That is when we got into the discussion about the length of the line.

Diameter was discussed on this subject and I remember using 1/4in line.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Sure, when I add up all of the numbers in the derivation for my boat it comes to about 1.5 times the boat length, just like you said !

bigtyme805 said:
I am telling you, riggers say 1 1/2 times the the length of boat. I had a new roller furling put on 8 months ago with a new 150 and this rigger I employed to put it on decided to go with what he deemed enough line had to replace the line because he shorted it by 2ft. I asked him what happened and he said that he had some extra harken line and he really thought it would work. That is when we got into the discussion about the length of the line.

Diameter was discussed on this subject and I remember using 1/4in line.

Emerald

OK,

1.5 times boat length is a number I've also seen from different vendors, but this still doesn't address line size and drum diameter, which translates into how much line of what diameter will wrap around the drum. If you have the right length, and have too thick a line, you will fill your drum up too soon. If you have too thin a line, you will work harder than you need to. As I mentioned in an earlier post on this, some furlers (like my Hood Seafurl 5) require a line which is partially decored - in a conversation I had with Hood on furlers, this came up as one of the most frequent problems people had - not using the proper type and style of line on the furler. So, instead of us all second guessing on an unspecified brand of furler as to what would work, call the manufacturer and ask them! You'll get the right answer, and if you want to then play with different diameters because of your hand comfort etc., you at least have a starting point of what the unit was designed for, and if you ask the tech guy the right questions, you might find you have some room to play.

I don't mean to be too crusty here, but let's get it right the first time and not make it more difficult than it needs to be (like buying 50+ feet of the wrong size stuff) :devil:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
That's true, maybe the sail gear manufacturers aren't using the convoluted computer menus with the marketing pitch(es) leading to an outsourced service rep who doesn't speak or understand English well. ;)

Emerald said:
OK,

...So, instead of us all second guessing on an unspecified brand of furler as to what would work, call the manufacturer and ask them! You'll get the right answer, and if you want to then play with different diameters because of your hand comfort etc., you at least have a starting point of what the unit was designed for, and if you ask the tech guy the right questions, you might find you have some room to play.

I don't mean to be too crusty here, but let's get it right the first time and not make it more difficult than it needs to be (like buying 50+ feet of the wrong size stuff) :devil:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Emerald

CaptnNero said:
That's true, maybe the sail gear manufacturers aren't using the convoluted computer menus with the marketing pitch(es) leading to an outsourced service rep who doesn't speak or understand English well. ;)

Thanks be to Poseidon, I have not encoutered the outsourced marine service rep. In fact, be it sanitation hose,thru-hulls or furlers, I've often been amazed at the support level I've received on the phone. Vendors I've had very good help from have included Raymarine, Airmar, Hood, CDI, Groco, DMI, LeFiell (made spars on some Ericsons) and the list goes on. Hope the rep reading from a script stays out of our sailing world :rolleyes:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald