• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

rub rail endcap

padrik

Hello,

I thought i would post a question to the Ericson audience here. I am in the process of replacing my rubrail rubber inserts. The old ones are shedding white gunk all over the hull and I finally am done. While removing the rubber insert on the starboard side I dropped the endcap of this rubrail into the water at my slip. 22 feet deep and haven't retrieved it yet. Im having a diver come out next week and hopefully he can find it. But in the worst case does anyone know about this part ? I found the rubber insert on wefcorubber.com thanks to tips on this site. Be warned the owner told me they only doing black rubrail inserts nowadays as a business decision. I decided that will do.

Back to that part, does anyone know how to get that ? it appears to be cast aluminum that was once covered in ceramic at some point.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_164039.jpg
    IMG_20210915_164039.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210915_164030.jpg
    IMG_20210915_164030.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 4

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The original ones were probably powder coated. There are threads here discussing making new ones, especially the bow cap piece.
Do a search on words like rub rail end cap.

FWIW, that old white rubber insert can be painted. One of our club members did that with his old Cal 2-30, and it held up well. He cleaned it with cleansers and sand paper, and then masked off carefully and brushed on some white gloss vinyl paint.

It occurs to me that if you have a surviving piece, you could clean it up, fill and fair nicks, and have it scanned for 3-D printing. Might be worth making inquiries.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I cleaned mine thoroughly with some soap, vinegar, and a scrubby pad. Then applied 2 coats of Meguiars marine vinyl & rubber protectant to it and so far it has stopped the chalking & leaching. That was about 4 months ago now and still good. I probably apply another coat at the end of the season and then in spring, etc.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Our ‘73 end caps are aluminum and were coated with a rubbery type of white coating that is now showing signs of aging with some aluminum oxidation under the white coating.

We’ve put it off because of many other projects but are about ready to strip off the material, grind/sand, fill any pit holes and then paint them white again with a two part epoxy paint.

...Since I - all to well - know both “Murphy” AND “O’Toole” (O’Tool said Murphy was an optimist) I’m going to wait until we seasonally pull the boat to avoid donating parts to those hungry underwater gods!

padrik

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will wait for the diver to come out next week and hopefully he can find that piece. if not will check into 3d printing or sand casting of some sort. As to the rubber rail inserts, i've decided to replace with brand new black from wefco. I was nervous about black rubrails but my neighbor has something similar on his sailboat and it looks fine. I think the previous owner did the painting as you suggested but overtime that degraded too. its 4 dollars a foot so 240 bucks and I shouldn't have to think about it again.