• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rub Rail on a 30+

Siltbird

Member I
There's something growing out of my rubrail. Like mildew or moss or something. So I'm figuring I need to remove it, clean it out, and reseal it. Has anyone done this? What's the process. Do I need to look out for anything?

Last edited:

lschill

Member I
Yes, I have taken off the rubrail. Just remove the screws and be very careful not to let the rail bind or kink. If you bend it, it's no good. You may have to use some replacement screws that are longer to replace the rubrail but not too long. Use plenty of caulk or 5200 on the hull/deck joint for leaking.

To keep the rail from bending, as I unscrewed it from the boat I tied a string to it and then to a lifeline to hold it in place and did that as I removed the rail along the boat.

Bill Robbins

Member II
Be sure to take the time to remove the "nose" of the railing. The forestay runs under it and the cover blocks a visual inspection of the forestay. I lost my rig from not noticing a slow developing crack at this location. I would even take the time to remove the forestay , which I feel is not strong enough on the E-35's, and look at the underside of it.
Good luck