• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

rub rail replacement

Mobab

hi all new member here. I'm looking to replace the inner rubber rub rail on my E29.
and need help sourcing it. I live on Vancouver Island on the west coast of British Columbia. Thanks for any help and what a great site!
Doug

sailing42

Member II
Doug, I looked at replacing mine a while back and like you also live on Vancouver Island. I don't have the details but I ended up contacting Wefco with a picture and measurements of the profile. They could supply it but with the shipping/duties/conversion from $Cdn to $US it ended up double the cost but unfortunately, I don't have the original quote. I ended up removing mine - it was chalky and had fine cracks ( Virgil is 1974 Vintage 27). I used some scotch brite pads and got rid of the chalkiness, cleaned it, and painted it white. It is a major mission to re-install it in the track - I found the rubber had to be rolled up and put in boiling water to make it flexible, lots of soap in the aluminium extrusion and it slides back in reluctantly. Tying a string to one end and pulling/pushing kind of works, need at least two people. I did this about five years ago and so far the paint has held up and the rub rail rubber still looks good.

rglore

Thanks for this source. Ordering rubrail profile 4107 for my ’83 28+ at $4 a foot. They only offer black color now, their website has all the info. Click on rub rail under products and print the page to see if your rubber matches.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi rglore,
Can you post some photos when you replace your rubrail insert?

Mobab

Doug, I looked at replacing mine a while back and like you also live on Vancouver Island. I don't have the details but I ended up contacting Wefco with a picture and measurements of the profile. They could supply it but with the shipping/duties/conversion from $Cdn to $US it ended up double the cost but unfortunately, I don't have the original quote. I ended up removing mine - it was chalky and had fine cracks ( Virgil is 1974 Vintage 27). I used some scotch brite pads and got rid of the chalkiness, cleaned it, and painted it white. It is a major mission to re-install it in the track - I found the rubber had to be rolled up and put in boiling water to make it flexible, lots of soap in the aluminium extrusion and it slides back in reluctantly. Tying a string to one end and pulling/pushing kind of works, need at least two people. I did this about five years ago and so far the paint has held up and the rub rail rubber still looks good.
that's what I'm planning on doing next haulout. Thanks for re install info., good advice there! what kind of paint did you apply?

sailing42

Member II
Doug,I wentto the local paint dealer here(Colour YourWorld), explained to them I was painting rubber and it would be exposed to the elements. They gave me a can - 500ml of primer and same of paint. For some reason I didn’t make a note of the paint and I used it all up. I do remember painting it was a mission- finding a place to lay it out and apply paint over about a week. I made a small covered “tunnell” with wood frames and plastic drop sheets and set it up in the side yard at home. I laid the rub rail on pieces of plywood and used some drywall screws on either side of the rubber keep it straight. I put a plastic zip tie in the one end for the port side incase there was some difference. On my boat (27 Ericson) the front and rear parts are terminated in aluminum castings and held in with large woodscews. I cleaned up those castings and got them powder coated while I was doing the rub rail rubber. Re-installed castings with new stainless screws.

Mobab

Doug,I wentto the local paint dealer here(Colour YourWorld), explained to them I was painting rubber and it would be exposed to the elements. They gave me a can - 500ml of primer and same of paint. For some reason I didn’t make a note of the paint and I used it all up. I do remember painting it was a mission- finding a place to lay it out and apply paint over about a week. I made a small covered “tunnell” with wood frames and plastic drop sheets and set it up in the side yard at home. I laid the rub rail on pieces of plywood and used some drywall screws on either side of the rubber keep it straight. I put a plastic zip tie in the one end for the port side incase there was some difference. On my boat (27 Ericson) the front and rear parts are terminated in aluminum castings and held in with large woodscews. I cleaned up those castings and got them powder coated while I was doing the rub rail rubber. Re-installed castings with new stainless screws.
My 29 Ericson, Idyl, has the same caps. Again more great advice! I did scrub and sealed the rubber rub rail with a clear top coat and that seemed to work well. I like the idea of painting it first then sealing it. Will talk to my guy at Home Hardware here in Nanaimo, thanks again, hope to see you and Virgil out and about!