• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rub rail streaking hul

Stugy

Member II
I have a chronic problem with the rub rail leaving streak marks on the hull.
My hull is flag blue (very dark blue) just repainted it this past weekend and the rubrail is white. I get these unsightly white streaks coming down the side of the hull everytime it rains, I wonder if there is a compound or sealant I can coat the rubrail with with to prevent the rubrail from running down the hull.
Any sugestions are welcome..!

Michelle..
:egrin:

E27-Tipsea

jeff_mc

Member I
i have the same problem.
lightly sand the rubber to remove the chalking.
wipe it down.
i used an acrylic floor sealer from home depot.
apply with a clean rag
or foam brush.
mine has lasts for a season, its not a lot of work to apply.
less work than wiping off those unsightly white stripes.

Stugy

Member II
Can you please post which brand did you use or product? I went to home depot but they told me they don't have vinyl floor sealer, only grout or tile sealer.
Thanks!

hcpookie

Member III
I have that same problem! Spraying won't remove the streak, I have to scrub it by hand to remove.

That stuff sounds close to Future acrylic floor coating - I followed-up on a thread about it a few weeks ago to deal with an old, oxidized deck. I wonder, if you could use that for the rub rail too.

When you say "sand the rub rail", do you sand to remove the top layer, or is there a certain amount?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Meguiar's Flagship Vinyl and Rubber cleaner.

Meguiar's Flagship Vinyl and Rubber cleaner helps with that stuff that powders off the rub rails. Seals it for a while. Kinda like Armor All. Got to do it about monthly though. Just glad I have white hulls. I do have a blue trim stripe that it shows up on. I have also waxed the rub rails. Also works for a while.

jeff_mc

Member I
i sanded it with some 220 grit paper, mine was pretty crusty. once its smooth wipe it down with some bar keepers helper, or any other white cleanser, rubbing compound etc. any acrylic floor coating will work fine, acrylic is what is in the home depot stuff. keep in mind this is only a temp fix. one season max, but a lot cheaper than replacing the rail.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Our boat doesn't have the rubber rub rail but our previous boat did. I found that putting some lacquer thinner on a rag and then clean the rail will take of the grunge and oxidized rubber. Then aplied a couple coats of wax. I just did this once per year. This method works well with the yellow shore power cord too and seems to keep it from grunging up again.

gabosifat

Member III
Michelle,

You might want to try Nyalic. It's a great acrylic product developed by NASA for resisting corrosion etc. Goes on clear & dries clear semi gloss like. Expensive but a great product.

Best of luck.
Steve

Emerald

Hi,

The rubrail streak question comes up time and again, and a product I've heard that works well as a solution is to paint them with Vinylon. It is a buoy paint. Check about half way down this page:

http://www.seamar.com/crab.html

and I have heard that it is available in white, even though white is not listed on this page.

I have teak toe rails, so I can't give first hand testimony on this, only that others have claimed good results.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald