• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder Bearing replacement for 32-3

Ahullsb

Good morning, I need a new rudder bearing for my 32-3. Does anyone know the specific part number for that or where I could purchase it from? Thank you in advance.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No part number that I know off. It's probably Delrin, you can measure and try to find the size, or have a machinist make one out of a Delrin plug.

This has come up before. Here;s one post, there may be more: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/tighten-the-rudder.1488/

Also, check the top bearing. Remove the cockpit deck plate, turn the rudder hard while sailing, and see if the rudder post wobbles. If so the top deck bearing assembly may be loose, which is just a matter of tightening the four bolts.

Ahullsb

No part number that I know off. It's probably Delrin, you can measure and try to find the size, or have a machinist make one out of a Delrin plug.

This has come up before. Here;s one post, there may be more: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/tighten-the-rudder.1488/

Also, check the top bearing. Remove the cockpit deck plate, turn the rudder hard while sailing, and see if the rudder post wobbles. If so the top deck bearing assembly may be loose, which is just a matter of tightening the four bolts.

Thank you! I was planning to replace it at haulout because our survey noted some play, but it sounds like I have some on water testing to do first based on your response. It would be nice if all I had to do was tighten something.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sounds like you are (project wise) beyond just lubing it up, but over the years a number of owners here have found some satisfaction in thoroughly lubing the shaft thru the often-ignored zerks (grease fittings) on the rudder post tube. These are often challenging to locate. They are also often ignored by a succession of owners.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The top bearing is sneaky, or at least it outfoxed me.

The whole underdeck assembly is held in place by the bolts in the plate at lower left in photo. If the bolts become loose, the bearing collar hidden beneath the deck slides around and you can hear the rudder clunk every tack.

However, and here's the sneaky part, the deck plate gives no sign anything's wrong. One simple test is to turn the bolts (machine screws) with a screwdriver. If they turn easily, the nuts on the other end are loose.

It's hard to reach the little nuts under the deck, and they are not in the line of sight of any routine inspection, which is why they're worth checking if rudder issues arise.

32-3 rudder post deck plate.JPG

Ahullsb

The top bearing is sneaky, or at least it outfoxed me.

The whole underdeck assembly is held in place by the bolts in the plate at lower left in photo. If the bolts become loose, the bearing collar hidden beneath the deck slides around and you can hear the rudder clunk every tack.

However, and here's the sneaky part, the deck plate gives no sign anything's wrong. One simple test is to turn the bolts (machine screws) with a screwdriver. If they turn easily, the nuts on the other end are loose.

It's hard to reach the little nuts under the deck, and they are not in the line of sight of any routine inspection, which is why they're worth checking if rudder issues arise.

View attachment 32804
Interesting. Okay I will check it out this weekend when I get to the boat. I hadn't heard or noticed anything weird under sail, but when I initially had it hauled out the surveyor noted a little play. Maybe I'll get lucky this weekend and resolve it when I swap my house batteries out. I really appreciate the help!

Ahullsb

Sounds like you are (project wise) beyond just lubing it up, but over the years a number of owners here have found some satisfaction in thoroughly lubing the shaft thru the often-ignored zerks (grease fittings) on the rudder post tube. These are often challenging to locate. They are also often ignored by a succession of owners.
It sounds like if I do have to replace the bearing I might as well do that too?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Probably wise to check on the play of the shaft and replace the bearing if needed. Then do add grease every season and do not be lazy like I am! :)