• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Running cables through mast

Norwegian Blue

Luan/Bill Burton, E30+ in Sheboygan, WI
Noob owner of ‘84 e30+, getting ready to step mast for the first time. And pondering replacing the VHF coaxial cable in the mast and the boat. I was not present for the unstepping last fall, but it appears the coax coupling was cut off to allow the cable to be pulled through. Is there a way to considerably enlarge the foramen magnum so the coupling can pass through, and not have to be cut and resoldered each year?

frick

Member III
You can put in a Male / Female "bnc" Connector at the inside near the base of the mast - it waterproof connector.

garryh

Member III
an example of a cable gland. You can leave the connector end on and it is always inside the cabin

Attachments

• Seaview-Retrofit-Cable-Gland.jpg
    Seaview-Retrofit-Cable-Gland.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 4

Norwegian Blue

Luan/Bill Burton, E30+ in Sheboygan, WI
The channel through the plate is almost .75” ID, and the BNC’s OD is .57“, so it should fit through—yay! But is it electronically compatible? Why do websites say to use a bulky PL259 connector?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Maybe you could have the VHF connector located inside the mast? It would be subject to corrosion I guess. The stock hole is a tight fit with the other mast wires and pulling them all through is difficult. The hole is kind of angled aft and enlarging it Is also difficult with the compression post underneath in the way. Maybe a hole saw would work. I reamed mine out with a large drill bit but I should have made it a bit bigger and that was without the VHF connectorTest to make sure all wires pass through easily before stepping the mast. When the mast is hanging over the boat you don’t want to be spending extra time fighting the wires through like I did... Also if you go straight through the cabin top consider installing a standpipe to prevent water from getting in and rotting the compression post. Good luck.