• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Running rigging to cockpit

sailorande

Hello Ericson Community,

I am interested in routing my running rigging aft to places where I can access from the cockpit. I am wondering how best to attach things like a winch to the area near the companionway. The issue that I have is that there is a significant gap between the hull and the interior shell in this area. I can see needing to drill several holes in the shell to access the underside of the hull in order to fasten winches and cleats. Not sure that is the best approach. Do you cut a larger hole in the inner shell under the area where I am going to install winches and cleats, install fasteners, and manufacture a panel to cover the opening? I feel very lost on this subject because I’m not sure what are the correct terms to use to explain what I am trying to do. For that reason, I am finding it difficult to search the threads on this site to find what I am looking for. I am sure it is there, somewhere, I just don’t know what keywords to use. Any help is appreciated.

Rande Peterson

Sounds of Silence

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard!

Ericson 27, year of manufacture and engine type/model --Please put this in your signature line because all the models are somewhat different.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
These might help you get started:

tpcorrigan

Member II
Hello Ericson Community,

I am interested in routing my running rigging aft to places where I can access from the cockpit. I am wondering how best to attach things like a winch to the area near the companionway. The issue that I have is that there is a significant gap between the hull and the interior shell in this area. I can see needing to drill several holes in the shell to access the underside of the hull in order to fasten winches and cleats. Not sure that is the best approach. Do you cut a larger hole in the inner shell under the area where I am going to install winches and cleats, install fasteners, and manufacture a panel to cover the opening? I feel very lost on this subject because I’m not sure what are the correct terms to use to explain what I am trying to do. For that reason, I am finding it difficult to search the threads on this site to find what I am looking for. I am sure it is there, somewhere, I just don’t know what keywords to use. Any help is appreciated.

Rande Peterson

Sounds of Silence

Hey Rande, we have a 76 E27 with helm steering. It has one winch on the mast we use only for the Genoa since we have roller furling and only use it few times a season. We run our main halyard to a winch on the starboard side of the companion way. Port is for the spin (ex drifter) when running. our Genoa sheets run to winches either side of our helm cockpit toward the rear of the boat.

To the best of my knowledge our boat has plywood coring between the top and bottom shells on the saloon at least where the winches are. Under the winches in the saloon ceiling, we have varnished 3/4 wood that has through bolts to the winches. If your boat does not have coring between the shells then I would suggest filling that space with thickened epoxy (or if possible coring) you can do this by drilling small holes and injecting the epoxy. If running any bolts through the shells I would pot the holes, meaning drill oversize holes and fill with thickened epoxy then drilling the right size hole through the epoxy. Also don't forget to seal any bolts you put through the shells.
we love our E27, so good luck and have a great day,

P.S. I answered this so that you did not have to listen to the "sound of silence" _/)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I usually assume that a lot of details are similar between the E27 and E29, which may not always be correct, but...

The two “cabinets” in the liner on the aft bulkhead provide direct access to the cabin top fiberglass. If you mount the winches directly above these spaces, just reach in to the top of the cabinet to access the hardware. You will need to make wedged pedestals and backing plates. I suppose that for those with cabin-top mounted travelers, there could be some interference issues...

Maybe a trickier issue is securing turning blocks at the base of the mast. Unless you have an organizer mast plate under the mast step, you may have to cut holes in the liner to attach something up there. I attached such a plate last time I had the mast down, just in case. A PO tried screwing cheek blocks directly into the mast, but they don’t lead even close to fair.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I added rope clutches to the cabin top of my E27 on both port and starboard sides. So where you can not access where the Toddster has mentioned and it requires strength, drill through the cabin top, and use a "hole saw" (like for drilling a door knob) on the interior shell to make a larger hole to accommodate nut and fender washers. Then use plastic plugs to cover the interior holes. Plugs come is standard sizes so choose your hole saw based on the size plug and washer. All the through holes that I drilled for mounting were drilled oversized, filled with epoxy, and redrilled with the correct smaller size so the interior of the hole is epoxy and not core (learned that here). Also note that lighter duty hardware, like small cam cleats where forces are in shear, don't have to be through bolted. In those cases, I drilled oversized, filled with epoxy and drilled for self treading fasteners for mounting. The "through hole and interior plug" method was also used to mount an inner jib sheet track on the deck for smaller sails and better sheeting angles for pointing.

Attachments

• e27-deck.jpg
    e27-deck.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 23

sailorande

Guys,

Still digesting all that you have offered up, but I did want to say a big Thank You for your input. Toddster, after reading your post, I went back and took a closer look at the area I can access via the cabinets, and what I discovered was a thickened area that I believe would be ideal to mount a winch without adding extra material to the underside of the hull. Forward of that, I believe a clutch or cleat could be mounted. a clutch seems to be the more popular option looking at the other boats on my dock. I will use the method of the hole saw and thickened epoxy to address mounting in these areas. Thanks so much to all of you. Have a terrific weekend!

SailoRande