• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Running wires through mast step and cable connection

redlegmsg66

Shawn Simmons
I am replacing the wiring for spreader lights and antenna on top of mast. anemometer cable is good. Looking for good ways to drill through mast step without taking out the anemometer cable and keeping water leak to zero.

Anemometer cable is good however I need a connector between mast step and mast itself. previous owner had a car type multi wire connector.

lastly whe checking continuity of anemometer cable i found 7 wires but 8 pins on the cable connector at the gauge. Any info on this would be welcome.

last picture is anemometer cable at anemometer. is this salvageable or should I just replace it?

Attachments

• 20211120_130202.jpg
    20211120_130202.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211120_130147.jpg
    20211120_130147.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211120_134621.jpg
    20211120_134621.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 23

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
The connector looks OK in the picture. The pins are shiny and straight. The pins are gold plated which is why they look good. The green likely is from the wires. Oxidized copper is green so the green stuff is a little worrying but there isn't much there. I would try cleaning it with alcohol and see how it comes out.

Replacing the connector has its own set of challenges and risks. Best let sleeping dogs lie.

redlegmsg66

Shawn Simmons
The connector looks OK in the picture. The pins are shiny and straight. The pins are gold plated which is why they look good. The green likely is from the wires. Oxidized copper is green so the green stuff is a little worrying but there isn't much there. I would try cleaning it with alcohol and see how it comes out.

Replacing the connector has its own set of challenges and risks. Best let sleeping dogs lie.
I can't. the connector used between the mast and boat is trashed

Shankara

Member II
I had a quite problematic leak at my mast step where the wires go through. It was destroying quite a bit of wood and adding a lot of water to the bilge during rain.

Fixed it finally with Flex Seal Liquid (clear rubber) by using an small thin epoxy syringe, which allowed me to insert the tip in-between the wires to fill the invisible voids below the step. Made a bit of a mound on top of the wires for extra measure. Dry as can be so far.

redlegmsg66

Shawn Simmons
I had a quite problematic leak at my mast step where the wires go through. It was destroying quite a bit of wood and adding a lot of water to the bilge during rain.

Fixed it finally with Flex Seal Liquid (clear rubber) by using an small thin epoxy syringe, which allowed me to insert the tip in-between the wires to fill the invisible voids below the step. Made a bit of a mound on top of the wires for extra measure. Dry as can be so far.
I am thinking of moving the connections outside the mast. I am planning on storing the boat outside after this year and it makes sense to me to have the connections outside the mast. That would allow me to access the wiring for testing. Thoughts

kapnkd

kapnkd
I am thinking of moving the connections outside the mast. I am planning on storing the boat outside after this year and it makes sense to me to have the connections outside the mast. That would allow me to access the wiring for testing. Thoughts
We experienced similar issues of water following the wires down the mast and then into our cabin.

We added a short pvc tube for the wires to follow that was sealed into the mast step and then with enough wire length to have the wires loop down and back up to the tube top so gravity forced the water off the wires. (The sealed off tube also prevented any inner mast step water accumulation from flowing down into the cabin as well.)

…We also slightly enlarged the drain hole in the mast step plate to better help/promote the water drainage.

Attachments

• 602C4BD8-29C8-4A43-9B3E-089C00CA7449.jpeg
    602C4BD8-29C8-4A43-9B3E-089C00CA7449.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 7F0C90F7-87CE-41E8-836E-95FC7B545D2B.jpeg
    7F0C90F7-87CE-41E8-836E-95FC7B545D2B.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 13

Shankara

Member II
Maybe a terminal block somewhere just inside. This would allow a place to both test current, and disconnect wires when storing.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Maybe a terminal block somewhere just inside. This would allow a place to both test current, and disconnect wires when storing.
We un-step and remove our mast for seasonal storage every year.

Belonging to a boat club that has a gin pole and a travel lift makes it economical with members helping each other. (Mast down storage also makes shrink wrapping much easier as well.)

When unstepping our deck stepped mast, it is first raised above deck height only about a foot or so allowing access to the wire connections to be unplugged or unscrewed. I personally prefer them located inside the mast for less exposure to the rigors of outdoor elements.