• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Safely removing fuel tank...

Andrew Means

Member III
So my E27 has an aluminum tank that got a bunch of 'varnish' inside and it ended up killing at least one of the three outboards which have seen service on the Wino Country Safari (and being a prime suspect in the other's demise).

We switched to portable plastic tanks, which work fine but aren't large, and have to be re-filled in the cockpit while we're motoring longer distances (which invariably involves spills).

So I'd like to replace the tank with a new plastic one, but it is presently half-full of 2 year old gasoline and I can't really figure out how to get the gas out. Siphoning it seems like the simplest thing, but I don't know how we would get a plastic tank any lower than the aluminum tank, and we'd have to use a bunch of different plastic tanks...

Is there a way to pump the gas out of the tank? Anybody got any ideas?

Once we get the tank dry(ish) I'll want to remove it, and I think that will necessitate some cutting - what's the best way to make sure there aren't fumes waiting to blow the whole boat up?

e38 owner

Member III
just a thought for fwiw

Fill the tank with water from the take up hose slowly
The lighter gas should come out of the vent hose
After the gas is out continue to flush
Cut top of tank with water still in it
Pump dry
collapse tank

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Tank replacement

I was able to pump 12 gals. of gas out of my galvanized steel 73' E27 tank with the same pump I used for changing my oil. I proceeded slowly and carefully with everything grounded. No problems. I then cut the fiberglass tabbing securing the tank with a battery powered sawsall using a fine metal cutting blade. Did a nice clean job without a lot of mess. I then removed the tank through the lazerette. Re glassed the two wood support pylons which supported the tank. Spanned the pylons with a piece of epoxy coated 3/8" plywood secured with stainless steel angles bent to fit. I installed a Moeller 12gal. plastic tank, new filler hose and deck fitting. Secured the plastic tank to the plywood support with stainless steel straps. The fill hose location had to change as nothing 'off the shelf' matched up with the old location. I did this at my mooring. Perhaps you could do the same. If anyone is interested in a well cared for, tiller steered, 27 with single handed mast raising system and its own trailer, let me know. Time to get rolling on my 80' E28+ project. Too many boats, so little time. Al Frakes Port Kent, NY

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
The method I used to cut out the tabbing. I drilled a hole through the center the tabbing but not through the aluminum tab, I then used a wood chisel to start in the hole and cut away the tabbing freeing the tank. If you are going to cut the tank to get it out of the boat, You will need to have all the liquid gas out of the tank, drop chunks of dry ice in and the CO2 will push out the gas fumes, I used a small hand saw that was designed for the kitchen for sawing bones. The aluminum cut well and unlike an electric say there are no sparks from a motor.
Good luck and be careful. If there are gas fumes there is a real danger of explosion.

steven

Sustaining Member
there is a small battery operated gasoline siphon pump that you can get on Amazon for about $12. Might also need to get an uptake hose for it to reach the bottom of the tank. I use it to transfer gasoline to and from my home genertor tank, and to fill my boat tank from jerry jugs without spilling.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Be careful if you use the Moeller Fluid Extractor pump. They are good for oil changes and getting water out of the TAFG but their literature specifically says "not for use with gasoline." Probably something to do with the material they use for the seals.