• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sail slugs/slides size for E27 32.5' mast.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I took my baby out for a shakedown Cruise in winds that were right on the edge of my comfort level. On two successive jibes I exploded several plastic sail slugs and a traveller line. Does anyone know what size sail slugs I need for a stock 32.5' mast from '74? I also have a rope in foot sail and that is slid inside my boom but a portion has slipped out and is pinched. Any tips on getting that line back inside the boom so I can slide the sail off the boom?

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Why not measure the ones you have? My e25 manual says mine should be 7/16" but I measured them @ 3/8".

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Why not measure the ones you have? My e25 manual says mine should be 7/16" but I measured them @ 3/8".
Was hoping not to have to make a special trip. Your reply was helpful. Thank you! Is yours a 32.5 mast?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I like your "Let's go sail it and see if anything breaks." approach to testing. :)

Different boats have different masts, so the boat model/mast height alone may not be enough to ensure compatibility. I bought a little caliper and find I use it all the time for measuring little parts and stuff on my boat. Very useful $8 tool.

Depending on where your foot is stuck in the boom, it may be easiest to remove the boom from the mast at the gooseneck. Otherwise I would put some rags (to protect the sail) in a set of pliers and grab the rope try to convince the sail to slide the way I wanted.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Was hoping not to have to make a special trip. Your reply was helpful. Thank you! Is yours a 32.5 mast?
I’m not too sure I haven’t measured it, but my air draft is slightly under 35’. I don’t believe our boats share the same spar section used for the mast as I’ve read elsewhere.

Gaviate

Member III
Otherwise I would put some rags (to protect the sail) in a set of pliers and grab the rope try to convince the sail to slide the way I wanted.
In addition to brute force, I would add some liquid dishsoap to the area to reduce friction, actually any kind of soap would be helpful or perhaps some dry lube spray. Also don't try to pull straight out, slide it towards the end where you normally feed it into the slot.
Good luck.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And if none of that works, put a line on the mainsail clew, attach a block well forward, run the line back to a winch and crank.

I might also try to hammer the foot bolt rope (the stuck part of the sail) back into its groove in the boom (using dull chisel or similar).

Brute force on the sail but don;t hurt the aluminum.

A new sail is in the near future.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
And if none of that works, put a line on the mainsail clew, attach a block well forward, run the line back to a winch and crank.

I might also try to hammer the foot bolt rope (the stuck part of the sail) back into its groove in the boom (using dull chisel or similar).

Brute force on the sail but don;t hurt the aluminum.

A new sail is in the near future.
Thanks Christian. If I am going to get better at sailing I need to be a bit more Archimedean in my thinking. I have been blessed with ridiculously wonderful luck since I purchased the boat in August. One form of that luck was nothing carrying away on my Two Harbors Adventures et al. I want to do the Channel Islands this summer and got this crazy idea from a Youtube "influencer" that going out in a good breeze has multiple merits, one of them being locating the weak points on your vessel. Cheers for that, and for "Moving to a Larger Boat".