• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailboat on the rocks at Descanso Beach (Catalina Is.)

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I was looking at the Descanso Beach webcam (Catalina Island) and noticed that there is a sailboat on the rocks. Anyone know the story behind this grounding?

I've texted my friend Ron, who is a supervisor for the Avalon Harbor Patrol, but I've not heard back. I'll report back any info he might pass on to me.

By the way: I don't know what happened to the earlier "TrueLook" webcams for Avalon and Two Harbors. They have not been operative for months, and appear to be shut down for good. Those cams, while not live feeds, did let you position and zoom in the camera. That would be interesting to do here.

If I had to guess, this boat is one of the several "anchor outs" that are semi-permanent fixtures around Avalon. These folks sometimes get themselves into trouble when the weather gets snotty, especially in Santa Ana conditions. We did have a brisk NE flow not too long ago, and I'm wondering whether this grounding may be a result of that. Just a guess.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
still there. people walking by, nobody seems too fussed about it.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Just checked the webcam and it's gone, so they pulled the boat off the rocks! I still haven't heard back from Ron to get the story behind this grounding, and now removal.