• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

SailGP in F50 Foiling Cats

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The advance continues, if that's what it is.

Made for TV and advertising, not that there's anything wrong with that....

David Grimm

E38-200
Think of all the money saved in fuel! Lol They look awesome. How long before you start to see affordable ones at the marina?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Think of all the money saved in fuel! Lol They look awesome. How long before you start to see affordable ones at the marina?
Oh God! Don’t say that, “How long before you start to see affordable ones at the marina?” Some people at our marina have trouble steering boat that don’t fly!

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Oh God! Don’t say that, “How long before you start to see affordable ones at the marina?” Some people at our marina have trouble steering boat that don’t fly!
Bob, you can own a consumer version for only $9M.

I saw the Eagle recently in Newport (RI). Looking a little worse for wear. Maybe you can get it for cheaper as a fixer upper.

Eagle one a.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Even IF you can find an affordable (?) way acquire a design like this (probably in a shorter length), you have to moor it. Since the rise of the trimaran designs in the 70's, there are never move than a few $$$ end ties at docks for them. And marina's are slowly being displaced by shoreside development all over the world, reducing places to park even ordinary-width vessels.

IMHO... These will likely be like Formula One race cars.... super fun to watch but never used as real-world transportation, anywhere.
I used to autocross and had a number of friends that raced in the sports car and sedan classes, and by having a spare set of wet and dry tires they could transition from daily driver to weekend racer. And, they and their families had adjusted to having a roll cage in the family second car.....
:)

Maybe better not to view these as "sailboats" per se.

Teranodon

Member III
Like in other areas of advanced technology (e.g., military aircraft) they should hurry up and move to the next step: eliminating the human element. The boats could go even faster if they were not constrained by human muscle strength, finite reaction times, limits of visual acuity, judgement, fear. Ultimately, the boats could race completely autonomously, continuously, night and day, all over the world. Then no one would pay any attention to them. Im already there.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Can't help but feel that the only things I can relate to with these boats (if you want to call them that) and what I do, is that the wind makes us both move and a body of water is involved. That's about it!