• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailing Roxanne: The year in review.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
In August of 2020 I became the owner of Roxanne, an E27. My prior sailing experience consisted of sailing sabots around Alamitos Bay in Long Beach, California and a few day sails on a large catamaran. On the sabot I learned how to read the wind, tack and jibe, and other basics. Standing in Roxanne's cockpit on the first day I stared aloft and around the vessel and came to the conclusion that I knew nothing and needed to consult the "New Library of Alexandria", what others call Youtube. In the first days I would motor around Los Angeles Harbor with friends and family while in every free moment I was absorbing as much information as possible. After a week I felt ready to raise the main and went out with a friend to sail the protected waters of Long Beach. I had Brian turn her into the wind and, after several gulps, I went forward in the 10kt breeze and hauled up the sail. I was a hectic situation, for a beginner, the main sail was flapping and the sheets were whipping, but I survived. I charged back to the cockpit, eased the tiller and off we sailed and I remember thinking "What was I so worried about?". Then I was sailing every day. For every milestone passed, there were moments of terror followed by the thought "What was I worried about?".

After two weeks of work and study, I solo sailed to Two Harbors, Santa Catalina Island. This past weekend I completed my 8th passage in less than a year. I took my 80 year old father over for his first sailing adventure to Catalina. Expecting 17 to 20 knots I put in my first reef on the first reef to keep the heel in check for my Dad's sake. Dashing into the wind and a 3 ft. mixed swell the full jib was laying us over so I pulled it in to about 60-70 percent and then she kept a reasonable heel. She rode beautifully, she was a champion hurdler in the very short seas. Spray was flying and I ducked a half dozen showers but took another half dozen right in the face, the sails were dripping. Before departing I knew I was venturing above my comfort level but I discovered something very important, I was comfortable. So was my dad who dozed peacefully the whole way over, to my amazement. It was only when I showed him video that he remarked "I slept through that?!".

So what have I learned? Plenty. I used to think sailors were mellow, now I know that they are exhausted. I have gathered that, for local sailing, it's about 5 hours of boat work for every hour on the water. I learned that I should not fear the Channel Islands off Ventura, my next milestone. I gleened as well that I have the bug or whatever sailors term is used for being called by the Sea. All of my thoughts are moving in the direction of a slow circumnavigation and throwing my hat into an ocean of Youtube videos. Mine is one story among thousands, thank you for reading.

Fair winds, Bepi

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I used to think sailors were mellow, now I know that they are exhausted. I have gathered that, for local sailing, it's about 5 hours of boat work for every hour on the water.
Bepi you hit it on the head of the nail with that one, I couldn’t agree more.

I’m also getting ready to do my first solo to Catalina in the coming weeks...

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Bepi you hit it on the head of the nail with that one, I couldn’t agree more.

I’m also getting ready to do my first solo to Catalina in the coming weeks...
Go for it! My only advice is to do your homework on the art of the mooring can. The primary line is pretty easy to grab but the secondary line can be fouled on the can. I have nailed most of my moorings and have, mercifully, quickly recovered when things were fouled. If you don't have an auto pilot I would recommend a tiller clutch and line setup. If everything is balanced right she will sail herself and you can pop below for a few moments or give your arms a break. My first trip over I was white knuckled to the tiller in windy conditions and didn't think to have water and snacks within easy reach. I am hoping to get over before the end of August. I just got a huge Danforth as a stern anchor and am going to attempt Little Harbor on the backside of Santa Catalina. Have fun!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Go for it! My only advice is to do your homework on the art of the mooring can. The primary line is pretty easy to grab but the secondary line can be fouled on the can. I have nailed most of my moorings and have, mercifully, quickly recovered when things were fouled. If you don't have an auto pilot I would recommend a tiller clutch and line setup. If everything is balanced right she will sail herself and you can pop below for a few moments or give your arms a break. My first trip over I was white knuckled to the tiller in windy conditions and didn't think to have water and snacks within easy reach. I am hoping to get over before the end of August. I just got a huge Danforth as a stern anchor and am going to attempt Little Harbor on the backside of Santa Catalina. Have fun!
You probably already know this, but just in case: When it comes to Little Harbor, make sure you study the chart so you don't run afoul of the reef.

It's a great location, by the way. You'll have a great time.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
You probably already know this, but just in case: When it comes to Little Harbor, make sure you study the chart so you don't run afoul of the reef.

It's a great location, by the way. You'll have a great time.
Thank you. That has been a major concern of mine. I have checked all the charts and last month I hiked from Two Harbors to Little Harbor and back so I could see it in person. What a lovely spot. I have to admit to being spoiled as most of 2020 Two Harbors was empty and felt like my personal playground. Last week I was lucky to get a morning.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thank you. That has been a major concern of mine. I have checked all the charts and last month I hiked from Two Harbors to Little Harbor and back so I could see it in person. What a lovely spot. I have to admit to being spoiled as most of 2020 Two Harbors was empty and felt like my personal playground. Last week I was lucky to get a morning.
The reef is nothing to be worried about; you just have to know where it is and the direction from which to enter it. It proves a good break from the swell when you tuck in behind it, anchoring bow and stern.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Bepi,
You should have professor Fagan’s book for heading out to the islands. It is important to get an idea of the proper entry to a harbor or anchorage and that is exactly what he gives you. It is not sugar coated but honest and a bit too straightforward for some, excellent reference.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Bepi,
You should have professor Fagan’s book for heading out to the islands. It is important to get an idea of the proper entry to a harbor or anchorage and that is exactly what he gives you. It is not sugar coated but honest and a bit too straightforward for some, excellent reference.

Thank you for the tip. Fagan is the gold standard but nothing beats actually standing on the bluffs overlooking Little Harbor and seeing it with your own eyes. That's why I physically walked across the island. All the charts and reading are helpful but nothing beats your own eyes to complete the picture, now it is all in my mind's eye and I bet I could anchor there in the dark. For anyone thinking of doing a round trip hike from Two Harbors to Little Harbor I recommend taking the mountain route there and the road back... not the other way around.