• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailing to Mount Desert Island / Acadia - Part 3 (of 3).

Pete the Cat

Member III
Nice job of showing folks the beauty of one of the best cruising grounds anywhere. Nest time stop at Matinicus and/or Monhegan. Despite the admonitions of the cruising guide both of these harbors generally have moorings available as the local lobster guys make money doing it. Matinicus is a step back in time and dinghy access requires some boldness. Monhegan mooring will be $40 or more, but the beach and walk is worth it if you have not been there before. The swell in Monhegan can be bad but generally goes down in the evening. Don't miss Hurricane Island next time around.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Looks great, thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to get up there one day. Had a great stay on Monhegan by ferry once.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for sharing! Everyone including the dogs look very happy. :)
From the view by water and from the charted view it looks like nearly every inlet and notch in the shoreline has buoys, a dock, or an established anchorage. Fantastic scenery and history.

Last edited:

dhill

Member III
Nice job of showing folks the beauty of one of the best cruising grounds anywhere. Nest time stop at Matinicus and/or Monhegan. Despite the admonitions of the cruising guide both of these harbors generally have moorings available as the local lobster guys make money doing it. Matinicus is a step back in time and dinghy access requires some boldness. Monhegan mooring will be $40 or more, but the beach and walk is worth it if you have not been there before. The swell in Monhegan can be bad but generally goes down in the evening. Don't miss Hurricane Island next time around.
Thanks @Pete the Cat ! There are so many things to see and do up your way - we've only scratched the surface. We will definitely be back up that way for more adventures.

Before this boat, I had explored the area between Cundy's Harbor and Port Clyde, up the Kennebec to Richmond, out to Monhegan, and along the salt farms and islands in Muscongus Bay over many, many summers. I still find new things to explore every year just in that small stretch of the Maine coast. This boat has allowed us to explore further afield, which has been great!

We've done several day trips to Monhegan - I'd love to spend the night there. I've wondered about the exposure at Monhegan - good to know your experience. I have eyed Matinicus as we've sailed by the past couple of years, so that is definitely on the bucket list. I will be sure to add Hurricane Island to the list as well.

Thank you very much for your advice and tips!
Dave

dhill

Member III
Looks great, thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to get up there one day. Had a great stay on Monhegan by ferry once.
Thanks @southofvictor ! Monhegan is beautiful, particularly the 160 foot cliffs on the eastern shore of the island, the forest trails, and the village and inn. A lot to see! I hope you can visit again soon!

Did you take the ferry from Boothbay, New Harbor, or Port Clyde?

Cheers!
Dave

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Did you take the ferry from Boothbay, New Harbor, or Port Clyde?
Port Clyde. Yes the cliffs were really cool, we hiked over to them in the dark one morning to watch the sunrise. Walked right into a deer standing on the trail! I guess they're pretty used to having people around.

dhill

Member III
Thanks for sharing! Everyone including the dogs looks very happy. :)
From the view by water and from the charted view it looks like nearly every inlet and notch in the shoreline has buoys, a dock, or an established anchorage. Fantastic scenery and history.
Thanks @Loren Beach ! There is a lot to see and do along the Maine coast, particularly east of Cape Elizabeth which marks the western end of Casco Bay. The glaciers had a lot of fun tearing things up, which left a great deal of territory to explore (see my reply to @Pete the Cat above). The main downsides are avoiding lobster pots (although that is sadly decreasing as the lobsters are migrating further downeast), fog, and the relatively short season. The San Juan Islands remind me a bit of Maine in the Pacific Northwest.

Cheers!
Dave

dhill

Member III
Port Clyde. Yes the cliffs were really cool, we hiked over to them in the dark one morning to watch the sunrise. Walked right into a deer standing on the trail! I guess they're pretty used to having people around.
Deer are a bit more scarce now on Monhegan. The island has been actively eradicating deer from the island.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
These are wonderful, Dave. And such lovely editing and use of music. I hope you get your boat fixed up in time for more adventures this coming season.