• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sails for E32 200

Hcard

Member III
Hello everyone, hope everyone is fine. I am replacing - at least thinking about-the sails for my 32 200 1990. It comes with sales branded Gleason sails. Are these the original sales on these boats_

This is a diagram based on the current sails, does anybody know if these measures are in accordance with the original sails? what is the proportion of the JIB )150%.?

Can anybody suggest a sailmaker in addtion to Gleason whoI have contacted already?

Many thanks for your input,

Hugo

Attachments

• Sails Sizes.pdf
    421.7 KB · Views: 4

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I doubt any Ericson has original sails by now, and since Gleason is a Forida sailmaker, that's handy.

The rig dimensions from Sailboatdata.com are close enough for estimates, and most sailmakers will do that by email, so you can get multiple bids.

My opinion is that all name-brand sailmakers are good, and that the most important factor is local and willing to come to the boat. The service usually includes measuring your boat, which is what you want: if the sail doesn't fit, or came out weird, they have to make good.

You can also get quotes from mail-order sailmakers, Lee among others, for which you measure yourself (always measure the actual boat before the order is put in). Most sails are made overseas from computer patterns, so local sewmanship is unlikely these days--and drives the price through the roof.

A local sailmaker also consults on your plans and needs in terms of battens, genoa sizes and so on. They know the regional wind conditions and what works and what doesn't. Racing? Cruising? Daysailing only? Offshore maybe? I listen to their advice.

New sails are great.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I was very happy with the local North rep. I used recently. Not the cheapest but he spent quite a bit of time measuring my boat and consulting with me on what is the best product North had for my intended use of the boat (cruising and some short-hand club racing). When the sail was ready (took 8 weeks), he came to the boat and installed it and showed me how to trim it, correct halyard tension etc. That was just with a jib which I needed right away because I lost my 100% jib in a blow. I plan to order a new main next month. I have to admit I was a bit biased towards the brand because when I used to windsurf, I had quiver of their sails and I really liked them.