• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Saltwater and oil in the bilge

Martyn

Member II
I have E38-200 on a mooring, and I am finding that regularly I have about a quart of salty/oily water in the bilge below the engine and in the mast bilge area. I always manually pump it out and clean it, but I am concerned that something is leaking. Its never a significant amount of water and its always oily/greasy like it backflowed through the exhaust. Have you had this issue and do you have any guidance on how to troubleshoot it? Thank you!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Time to follow the "path" of exhaust from manifold all the way to the inside of the transom.
(You will get to 'know' your boat better, also....)
:)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Another possibility for your consideration is a pinhole leak in your aluminum fuel tank. Many of these tanks develop those leaks at about 35 years.
Ours showed as a very slight sheen in the hull in front of the tank and just enough oil in the bilge to dirty a Kleenex tissue once a week. If this were mixed with rain water coming down the mast, it would create the oily water you described. Just a thought....
Frank

Martyn

Member II
Another possibility for your consideration is a pinhole leak in your aluminum fuel tank. Many of these tanks develop those leaks at about 35 years.
Ours showed as a very slight sheen in the hull in front of the tank and just enough oil in the bilge to dirty a Kleenex tissue once a week. If this were mixed with rain water coming down the mast, it would create the oily water you described. Just a thought....
Frank
Thanks for the tip Frank. Mine seems much oilier like engine oil or exhaust. I will chase the path of the exhaust and see if there is a leak in that pipe somewhere between the engine and the manifold. Will let you know if I find the source to share the wisdom!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Quart not much. Check stuffing box. Check cockpit drain hoses, rainwater picks up salt and can mimic it. Often old oil appears from tafg, common issue. iPhone typed.

Second Star

Member III
Check to see if the crankcase ventilation hose is lead into the air intake and that any oil seepage from it is confined to the air filter housing. Mine leaked so I led the hose into a small plastic bottle I could empty now and then.

David Grimm

E38-200
Ohh you have oily water in the bildge. Thats a sign that you have an old sailboat! Lol. Sure theres no antifreeze in there to? The water is most likely from rain coming down the inside of the mast. Totally normal. I use a very flexable paint tray liner with an absorbant pad in it stuffed under the engine. Cuts down on the oil. Check the fuel tank too. They leak after 36 years. So do the hoses.