• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

San Juans - favorite spots?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
After the rendezvous, I'm headed home by way of Roche Harbor.

But... don't need to rush, and am thinking about spending a few lazy days in the San Juans.

Have been to Friday, have been to Sucia, have been to Prevost... have never been anywhere on Orcas or Lopez.

Any recommendations? Just looking for something scenic and relaxing. Anchor or guest-slip, don't care, but low-stress is the guiding principle.

Thanks!
Bruce

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Rosario resort /marina is lovely, but a bit pricey. Still worth a visit just for the grounds and the beautiful mansion. Deer harbour marina is a nice casual, friendly spot.
Frank

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Agree on both of the above. There are buoys at Rosario that are cheaper than the marina slips. They used to have a free buoy tie-up policy during the day if you cleared off the buoy by a certain time.

Parks Bay and Blind Bay on Shaw Island. Parks Bay is opposite Friday Harbor. Anchorage can be kind of deep if you get there late. Blind Bay on the north side has a bit of a tricky entrance on low tides, but not hard to do. Shallower than Parks Bay and more room for boats.

Near the Orcas ferry dock, opposite Blind Bay, there is a nice grocery and a gift shop or two. Dinghy parking or short-term tie up at the dock just to the west of the ferry landing. Check out the Google maps satellite view of that area.

Mud Bay and Hunter Bay on the south east side of Lopez are nice. We've anchored in Hunter Bay and used the dinghy to go into Mud Bay, which is shallower, I believe.

Have fun!

Craig

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If the wind is favorable, a mooring ball on the east side of James Island gives one a spectacular sunrise in the morning. We had a few freighter wakes but not as bad as I was expecting. Watch out for the middle north mooring ball- it was under water last August at high tide. James is my favorite overnight stay location in the San Juan’s so far. And a nice trail around the island.

Sounds like a nice return trip!

Last edited:

missalot

Member II
Cypress Island, specifically Eagle harbor is nice. Cypress Head is nice too. Both have DNR mooring bouys - free. Hiking on the island. It's a trek to Cypress Lake, but beautiful.

For an anchor only, no going ashore, there's a neat spot in West Sound on Orcas, tuck in between Double Island and Victim Island, quiet, protected

bolbmw

Member III
Not San Juans, but my family favourite is to pick up a mooring ball at Beaumont Marine Park in Bedwell Harbour. Take the dinghy to Poets Cove Resort, enjoy the pool and hot tub. The pub is excellent. You can dingy over to Port Browning Marina, thru the cut between the islands if you want to walk into town or try the pub there (excellent as well.)

As far as relaxing goes - I don't think it gets any better than this.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
As long as you've gone to the trouble of checking into Canada you should spend a few days rattling around in BC before coming back. Much nicer than the San Juans IMHO. If you are already at Genoa Bay you should head North up the Sansum Narrows. Spectacular views with high cliffs on both sides. Easy run for the day up to either Maple Bay, or Telegraph Harbor, both with nice restaurants and pubs. Then come down the east side of Saltspring. You can stay at Ganges with shopping/etc or anchor in Glenthorne passage on Prevost Is. , or go a little further and anchor on the North end of Portland Island. You'll need to stern anchor on the rings provided, but the whole island is a provincial park so you can hike around for the day. From Prevost or Portland Roche Harbor is an easy days run to clear customs back into the US. If you had more time you could also check out Port Browning on N. Pender. From Browning you can take your choice and either clear customs in Friday harbor or Roche.

Left to right is Portland Is., Glenthorne Pass on Prevost and Ganges on Saltspring Is.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Portland anchorage.jpgGlenthorne boats.jpgganges.jpg

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
What Kevin said

We especially like Royal Cove on the north side of Portland Island, our favorite anchorage in the southern Gulf Islands. Best spots are backed up against the north side of the cove. Beware of the occasional ferry wake, particularly if you are getting the stern tie set up on the south side of the cove. There are submerged ledges near the shore, but they are easy to see. Holding is very good for the anchor and there were about nine stern tie rings around the cove. This is a shot from our 2010 Canada cruise, stern tied to the north side of the cove.

DSC_3393-small.jpg

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Craig I think from our two pictures we tied off on the same ring on shore, or awfully close. And yes, that is the best spot in the bay but the rest aren't bad either.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Craig I think from our two pictures we tied off on the same ring on shore, or awfully close. And yes, that is the best spot in the bay but the rest aren't bad either.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

It does look that way. We've visited there and stayed overnight four times I think. Tied off to south side twice and north side twice. The wakes are mainly a problem when getting to the rings while the dinghy rises and falls. After you're all tucked in all the spots are pretty good.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Been there many times myself over the last 30 years. And the ferries stop running around midnight or so which makes for a pretty peaceful night. I've also anchored on the south end behind Turtle (Tortise?) Island with my old E27, but that seems to be more popular with people coming up from Sidney so can be a bit crowded and you are limited in good spots that have enough depth for a keel.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

TKBLACK

Member II
Fishermans Bay

After the rendezvous, I'm headed home by way of Roche Harbor.

But... don't need to rush, and am thinking about spending a few lazy days in the San Juans.

Have been to Friday, have been to Sucia, have been to Prevost... have never been anywhere on Orcas or Lopez.

Any recommendations? Just looking for something scenic and relaxing. Anchor or guest-slip, don't care, but low-stress is the guiding principle.

Thanks!
Bruce
Fishermans Bay on Lopez has protected anchoring. Watch entering and exiting tide depths. Easy walk into town. Easy row over to the western spit. Two marinas. One has pump outs on the docks.
Karin - Achates