• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Screeching Barlow 26s

I have recently purchased a 74 35 Mk II hull No. 356, here in San Diego Bay. "Whisper" is very lightly equipped, having been used as a big day sailer by the previous owner of 25 years. Preventive maintenance was minimal so I am going through it and learning lots of new things. This web site is a gold mine and I have enjoyed reading your comments.

My next project is to lube the two Barlow 2-speed sheet winches. The are free and sound ok until a load is put on them and then they screech. I have never disassembled a winch. Is it reasonable to expect that I can do this without removing them from the boat? Any instructions the members can provide will be very useful to me.

Thanks,
Vernon Kleist

erobitaille

Member II
Vernon,

Ther is a company Down Under Hutton-Arco that still makes parts for the Barlows if you need them.

I had an old sailor friend show me how to claen an lube winchees years ago.

1. do one winch at a time. take pictures. if you get mixed up then take the other winch apart.
2. take a soft drink case card board box or any shallow card board box and cut a hole the size of the winch base slip over the winch before you start. any dropped parts stay in the box not over board.
3. like I said this guy was old would only use kerosene to clean the parts.
4. use winch grease on the bearings ONLY NEVER USE GREASE ON THE PAWS they will stick. Light macine oil for the paws. He hated WD-40 only used Magic Oil.

Take your time it's not very hard to do.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
You should find an exploded view of your winch here:

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/winches/

You can (and should) disassemble the winches on the boat, but a good trick is to cut a hole in the bottom of a cardboard box the size of the winch base and slip it over the winch before starting work so that the pieces can't jump overboard. You may be able to get spare parts from this outfit (although I have heard mixed reviews about its reliability):

http://www.arco-winches.com/spares_2.html

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Winches...

The Harken site has a great guide for doing this... http://www.harken.com/winches/Harken_servicingwinchesmikelee.php
This will take you through the basics. I use mineral spirits to clean, then a good rinse in hot water and dry with a rag or paper towel. Bring beer and a radio, you'll need them. I'd remove everything but the base and get it all clean and lubed, then you have a baseline to start with. If it still howls after a good cleaning and a little grease, then start to worry about repair.
Check with West Marine as a surprising source of basic parts (pawls, pawl springs, etc...), call them up and ask. I found Barient kits there- much cheaper than shipping from ARCO.
The box over top is key! As is light machine oil only on pawls... 3-in-1 type oil works fine.

I have a pdf of barlow winch diagrams that is too big to attach. Shoot me an email and I'll email it back to you if you'd like it.
cmmiller0411@comcast.net
Best,
Chris

Raybo

Vernon Kleist said:
I have recently purchased a 74 35 Mk II hull No. 356, here in San Diego Bay. "Whisper" is very lightly equipped, having been used as a big day sailer by the previous owner of 25 years. Preventive maintenance was minimal so I am going through it and learning lots of new things. This web site is a gold mine and I have enjoyed reading your comments.

My next project is to lube the two Barlow 2-speed sheet winches. The are free and sound ok until a load is put on them and then they screech. I have never disassembled a winch. Is it reasonable to expect that I can do this without removing them from the boat? Any instructions the members can provide will be very useful to me.

Thanks,
Vernon Kleist

I just bought Besame #460 in January. She's in SD, too. And had been used little over the last couple of years. In the process of doing a lot of refit, minor upgrades and tuning . I just replaced the Barients with Lewmar Self Tailers because we sail short handed. I still have the old ones sitting at the boat. I'll be in SD next weekend for some R&R. Send me a PM and maybe we can get together and I can pull it apart off the boat and show you what to do/look for. I.e., are they just dry really failing.