• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sea cock for raw water pump 35-3

Cambriaman63

New to this boat. Changing out the hose and impeller on the Sherwood pump. But for the life of me, I cannot find the shut off on the 1987 35-3, under the m25.

help?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
On my '85 E35-3, there is no fresh water shutoff on the engine; there is a drain plug above the starter at rear of the engine below to rear of the radiator cap. There is a sea water shut off under the galley sink at the thru hull valve. It is always good to shut off the sea water thru hull when leaving the boat...don't forget to open it before you start the engine!

Good time to drain and put a fresh 50/50 mix of antifreeze in the fresh water system...and replace hoses if needed. There is a second radiator fresh water supply with radiator cap under the starboard deck lazaret...well visible top left. If that is not full of 50/50 antifreeze, your engine will surely overheat. Make sure all fresh water supply has been burped of air. You can do a search on this forum for a lot more information. The E35-3 is a fantastic boat. Tons of info on this forum, use the search engine always.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Are you looking for the raw water shut off? On our boat, the raw water thru-hull for the engine is actually under the sink, not under the engine. It should have a valve on it. It can be a tangled mess of hoses under there and not be obvious at first to track down.

wynkoop

Member III
My E-27 has the raw water shutoff under the sink and it is so far aft that one has to sit on the floor facing port and reach aft as far as the right arm will extend to reach it.

MMLOGAN

Member III
Best tip ever! Put the key for the engine on a floaty and hang it on the engine raw water thru-hull handle. You'll never forget to open it and it's the last thing you close.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
TOUCHE'.......!
Yes, key on the closed seacock as stated above, except when I'm at anchor, on the boat. Then I leave the key in position at the engine panel and the seacock open, so I can start the engine immediately if a problem arises. Has only happened once that the anchor dragged, I woke up to the sound and was close to shore / rocks, and glad I could start the engine immediately.
Frank

wynkoop

Member III
If I am on board and not at a dock the seacock is open and the key is in the switch.

I have not yet started the engine without opening the sea cock, but I like the idea of the key on the seacock. I think though I amy not be able to do it with the position of my sea cock.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
My raw water (engine) seacock is a !@#$% to reach! Under the galley sink...I have to remove the ladder, lay half on my left side and with left arm reach full length. I cut a 6" piece of PVC pipe with a cap to slip over the lever to ease the leverage operation. Groan getting up, then replacing the ladder. Next time on the hard...I may either relocate or switch with a lessor used thru hull seacock/plus replace with a bronze seacock. Cannot understand why such an important frequently used seacock is located in such a despicable position...and the lever is on the off side to boot!! WHEW!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Someone at EY thought that the engine water intake should be under a galley counter. (sigh) On the Olson this caused a rather convoluted hose run back to the front of the engine. For us the valve was easy enough to reach, but they had left little or no room for a strainer.

I later moved the valve back, under the front of the aft cabin berth and also put in a Groco strainer there. I did change the sea cock to the Forespar model that incorporates a hose bib connection for valving over and flowing pink antifreeze in for winterizing.
Every boat will have differences in piping, but it is really nice to have the valve be easy to get at.

wynkoop

Member III
I just wish they had put the water intake closer to the sink drain or forward of it. I hate the idea of new holes, but I suppose when I am no longer able to reach mine I will haul, and put in a new through hull/seacock closer to the door to under the sink.