• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sea cock shut off shaft broke

Stuart 28-2

Member II
The shaft broke off in the handle. The valve is in the closed position. Is there any recourse from replacing the whole valve? Any way to just replace the shaft? I think I know the answer but I thought I would ask.
This one takes water out from the cockpit and the galley sink.
The hose is very brittle and the side to the galley sink broke trying to get it off. I'd like to avoid replacing all hose all the way back to the cockpit scuppers. ( I guess the correct answer is "well, since you know it's brittle, just go ahead and replace it all"). Arrrgghh, I'm trying to do a other jobs and I'm going down the rabbit hole.
Oh, important piece of info: the boat is out of the water.

Attachments

• IMG_20210926_075524914.jpg
    IMG_20210926_075524914.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20210926_084212045.jpg
    IMG_20210926_084212045.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20210926_084258629.jpg
    IMG_20210926_084258629.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 55

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, having been thru this on our boat some years ago, I would advise replacing the sea cock while the boat is on the hard. Series 93 Forespar Marelon, or bronze. Neither is particularly cheap. Results are gratifying.
Gotta say, the 3-way one from Forespar that allows easy winterizing of the whole engine raw water circuit is the "bees knees" of good design. :)

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The third photograph gives me the willies. That corrugated hose looks unsuitable to begin with, never mind that it's brittle and past its useful (useless?) life.

And what's with the single-clamped red hose on a below the waterline seacock? Minimally you need to add another hose clamp to that.

The correct answer is: fix this yesterday, with the proper fix including complete replacement with proper hose for this application. This is what is keeping your boat off the bottom. Don't mess around with it.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I agree with the comments above to replace and fix properly. However, I would recommend True Design over Forespar. They are a newer New Zealand manufacturer, and have added a collar around the seacock which makes it stronger, and they don't corrode like bronze. The ball valve inside is teflon impregnated so they say it doesn't need lubrication like Forespar. They are also less expensive. I've only recently made this change, but so far I like them, and they get good reviews.
Frank

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes, don't mess with this one, get rid of those hoses ASAP. They are a disaster waiting to happen and could easily sink the boat. When I pulled mine out they split open with very little force. Scary.

Link here to best practices for backing blocks and thru-hull/seacock fitting compatibility. https://marinehowto.com/category/plumbing/

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
That's an old/original RC Marine type Marelon ball valve. The new Forespar Marelon valves have a more stout shaft--and the valve handle now rotate in both directions. One of the commonly stated reasons for shaft handle failure (other than stuck ball valves) was owners turning the handle the wrong way, since the old valve handles rotated only 90 degrees, unlike the new ones which rotate 180 degrees.

Ditto on replacing the old hoses.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Ken's blog is good! Get the replacement ball valve with teflon tape and PTFE plumbers goop, then also get an old fashioned flat, red rubber toilet plunger. You can cut the handle short. Tie a stout string to the handle and go for a swim! The water should still be warm in North Carolina, right? Firmly place the plunger over the inlet to the thru hull. Climb back in the boat, dry off and change that sucker out. Don't over tighten but ensure no leaks. Oh, and make sure you have a soft wood plug handy (you have those, right?) just in case. Then change your hoses, test your ball valve open, close, etc. and finally, pull up your string to pull the plunger off. Viola. Go sailing.

Stuart 28-2

Member II
Thanks for all the replies and the catch on the single hose clamp (a little disappointed I didn't catch it myself as I've been in there a few times by now).
I'll update on where we are with shut off valve in a following reply. For this one I want to comment on the question of suitability of the white spiral hoses. According to the manual, the boat was built with those. They're used fairly extensively throughout the boat - manual bilge pump, I coming water to two storage tanks, and as already seen cockpit and sink drain. So, if they were later replacements someone has gone to a large task if installing them. If it is true the boat was built with them, I would think photos showing them on other Ericson's would be not uncommon ( I imagine if Ericson thought those were the hoses to use, the 1988 28-2 is not the only boat with them).
I had to deal with a manual bilge pump issue in August and the hose was not brittle so I was surprised the one from the galley sink was so bad. Heat from the engine? It's only about 8" away. I will look for evidence of a cover.
Anyway, hoping I don't have poorly selected hoses on my boat.