• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Seacocks

Do you close your seacocks when you leave the boat?

• Every time

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Only if I'm going to be gone for a few days

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Depends on how much I had to drink

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's a seacock

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It's insured

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

nbolds442

Just got my first boat. This seems like something everyone knows they should do but don't actually take the time to do it.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I ~always leave certain seacocks open (cockpit drains; raw water) and others (sink & icebox drains; head outflow) closed - didn't know how to answer the survey.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Unless we are out of town or away from the boat for an extended period, the engine intake valve is left open. All the others are closed when we are not aboard.
This regimen works for me, and no way would I promote it for others.....
Best advice is always to close 'em all when you are gone.
Also, I have replaced *all* of the 1988 OEM Marelon RC Marine thruhulls with the later ForeSpar model 93 seacocks.
There are no original bilge hoses remaining in the boat -- all have been replaced, some twice.
(As my friend Bob will tell you, after narrowly avoiding sinking, quality hoses, clamps, and thruhulls are a Big Deal.)

Last edited:

nbolds442

Unless we are out of town or away from the boat for an extended period, the engine intake valve is left open. All the others are closed when we are not aboard.
This regimen works for me, and no way would I promote it for others.....
Best advice is always to close 'em all when you are gone.
Also, I have replaced *all* of the 1988 OEM Marelon RC Marine thruhulls with the later ForeSpar model 93 seacocks.
There are no) original bilge hoses remaining in the boat -- all have been replaced, some twice.
(As my friend Bob will tell you, after narrowly avoiding sinking, quality hoses, clamps, and thruhulls are a Big Deal.)
Hose and clamp replacement is on my winter to do list. And apparently when she goes back in the water I'll be following suit on closing them.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
When away, a/c raw water, engine raw water, head outflow thru-hull, sink valves always closed. Thru-hull valves are always my double final checklist when leaving for home. Back aboard, first thing, all open except head outflow..takes less than one minute. Cockpit drains always open.

Ed Valente

Member II
We close all thru-hulls when leaving the boat just overnight or for an extended period of time.
In an effort to compensate for my absent mind, I hang the ignition key on the engine intake thru-hull prior to leaving. This practice has yielded incredible savings on replacement impellers.