• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Seal for leaking deadlight

Stuart 28-2

Member II
Hello all. This is my first post on the site. I just bought my first sailboat three weeks ago. A 1988 Ericson 28-2. Pretty busy on the repairs and refurbishments. Can someone please suggest how I would go about finding the seal I point to in the attached photo. I don't know what the make of the deadlights and portlights are but the hatches are Lewmar.IMG_20210626_110345976.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_110345976.jpg
    IMG_20210626_110345976.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 0

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Forum! These fixed ports were popular and Catalina Direct is one possible source for replacement gasket kits. Search this Forum and you'll find lots of references and experiences for dealing with these ports.

I have four of these ports on my boat and I have re-bedded one so far. I was able to re-use that gasket. When I removed the port I found the outside frame gasket was just an open-cell foam. Outside, on the glass/frame joint, was clear silicone bead that was not doing the job any longer. On re-assembly you have to be careful not to break the glass (if it is a glass pane) as it and the gasket make a tight fit, and then decide how to bed the frame. I used 3M 4200 under the frame and a bead of black 4200 to replace the silicone bead. On my next one I will switch to 3M 4000UV for the frame. Others will advocate butyl tape sealer and that works also, with somewhat less mess. At the same time I replaced the badly deteriorated plywood paneling in that section of the cabin.

Craig