• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

sealing leaky deck hardware

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Leaky Hardware

Buster- What I have done in the past is to first remove the said hardware any thoroughly dry the holes. When that is complete fill the holes up with West Systems epoxy or Marine Tex. Re-drill your holes and bed with 3M 4200.
I am taking in to account that the leaking areas have no rot from water damage. If that is the case you will need to address repairing the rotten core. Hopefully that is not the case. Really a simple procedure. Have fun. Rob Hessenius

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Buster - it is always worth mentioning which model boat you are talking about in any question, to help get the most appropriate replies.

I have had to work on mine, but I think it is a different system based on your problem.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

jkenan

Member III
Buster-

I'm assuming you are talking about the E23 MKII, based on your public profile. I would first ascertain whether the genoa track is bolted thru a cored section of the deck. I know nothing on the E23, but on my E29, the track is bolted to the toerail which is not cored. If any water came in thru the bolts on mine, it would not jeopardize the core. Find out this detail before doing anything else (anyone, anyone??).

Widening holes, filling them with epoxy, and re-tapping them is only necessary when hardware is bolted thru core (and I would strongly recommend doing this as a PREVENTATIVE measure for ALL hardware, even if it is NOT leaking), otherwise, simply removing the hardware and rebedding it should be sufficient. It is also a good idea to chamfer the tops of all holes (in the deck laminate, not salon ceiling) before rebedding. This will give the sealant more surface area to create a better seal.

Good luck.