• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Seeking Advice for E38-200 Traveler Replacement

hlurie

Our 1991 E38-200 (Sel De Mer, Hull #1) is in need of a replacement of the traveler, including blocks and cars. We're aiming to replace the fiddle block and mainsheet blocks as well. We're the 2nd owner since 1991, and am fairly certain our current equipment has never been replaced.

Our primary question is whether we should retain the existing track, and just replace the above hardware or try to rebuild the entire system?

We are avid cruisers and occasional racers, and although we've not had many problems with the existing rig, we're looking to improve what seems to our eyes an old and possibly soon-to-fail rig.

Any recs on cordage length and diameter, preferred blocks and cars are most welcomed. Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1547.jpg
    IMG_1547.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 26

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Your Harken traveler looks a lot like the high quality Harken traveler that EY installed on our '88 Olson.
Ours was still working fine, but was getting kind of used and nicked up some, so I replaced it during our re-fit in 2021. New Harken, and the new series has a much better sheave system for the controls (IMHO).
Link to our replacement:

If you are considering also upgrading the main sheet block scheme to all-ball-bearing one from Harken or Garhauer, do so.
You have a main sheet system with more blocks and friction points than does our boat, and reduction of drag is important.

hlurie

Your Harken traveler looks a lot like the high quality Harken traveler that EY installed on our '88 Olson.
Ours was still working fine, but was getting kind of used and nicked up some, so I replaced it during our re-fit in 2021. New Harken, and the new series has a much better sheave system for the controls (IMHO).
Link to our replacement:

If you are considering also upgrading the main sheet block scheme to all-ball-bearing one from Harken or Garhauer, do so.
You have a main sheet system with more blocks and friction points than does our boat, and reduction of drag is important.
Thanks for your insights, Loren Beach

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Not the same boat (mine is an E32-3) but I did a traveler upgrade not too long ago using Harken. Found their gear to be reliable and they had excellent tech support. I’ve spoken to Harken reps at the Annapolis boat shows and they were very knowledgeable. Did a blog on my upgrade which might be helpful to you in some ways.

hlurie

Not the same boat (mine is an E32-3) but I did a traveler upgrade not too long ago using Harken. Found their gear to be reliable and they had excellent tech support. I’ve spoken to Harken reps at the Annapolis boat shows and they were very knowledgeable. Did a blog on my upgrade which might be helpful to you in some ways.
Thanks very much Bob S.

Guy Stevens

That traveler car should have replacement bearings available for it, and if the track is not visibly damaged, I would just get new bearings, and clean everything really well. If the track is not damaged you could get a new car and new sheaves for both the car and the traveler end blocks.
The car adjustment blocks are damaged beyond repair and would need to be replaced. I don't know if the new style fits the old cars, call Harken and ask. If you have to replace the track to use the new cars, I would go with a new Garhauer setup. Cheaper, and just as good.

I would replace that main sheet block set with a ball bearing one from Garhauer.