• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

shipping a mast

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I guess this is maintenance. It is possible that I will buy Matt's E27 mast. Any suggestions on getting it shipped from Buffalo to Norfolk?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Any suggestions on getting it shipped from Buffalo to Norfolk?

I'd suggest calling a couple of boat haulers. Most of them have the ability to add a mast to the side of an existing load. If you have a flexible timeline, and can get the mast onto a load already going from Buffalo to Norfolk, it might work out well.

Note, though, someone would have to prep the mast at the loading end, and someone would have to be at the receiving end to receive it.

I know Joule Yacht Transport does a lot of boat-moving on the east coast. One way to find out which haulers work that part of the country would be to call the yards in Buffalo and Norfolk and ask them which haulers they use (and recommend)

$.02
Bruce

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I would strip the standing rigging off the mast, roll it up and bag it and remove the spreaders to keep them from being damaged. The mast is short enough on the 27 to carry it on a trailer. I have done this with my San Juan 26's mast. It sticks out over the truck. The San Juan's mast is a little stubbier but not that much smaller. It helps if you have a truck and access to a trailer. If you carry the mast yourself, you don't need to strip it as much. Just be sure the standing rigging doesn't flog around. It can destroy the anodization on the mast in a hurry.

Good luck!

tpcorrigan

Member II
Mast Damage

I guess this is maintenance. It is possible that I will buy Matt's E27 mast. Any suggestions on getting it shipped from Buffalo to Norfolk?

When we purchased our E27 a couple years ago, We had to ship it from Eastern Michigan to Cleveland. a trip of about three hours or so. We took down the mast, disconnected the spreaders, antenna, windex and then covered the whole thing in plastic wrap, using small bubble wrap where necessary. We then used duck tape to secure all the standing rigging (a ring about every 5') and any thing else that moved. The plastic was to protect the mast from both chaffing as well as the dreaded duck tape "sticky". Assuming The mast is the same as ours it is 32' long (not counting antenna and windex) and can be laid on a empty boat trailer assuming the trailer it is for a larger boat.

I have moved a 30' mast this same way a while ago for another sailboat. We used old cut in half pool noodles for padding and duck taped the mast on the trailer. You can tie and lash all you want but you can't beat the tape! it never loosens. The trailer I used was for a 26' powerboat so I made sure to raise the back end of the mast up a foot or so that way we had more clearance going up a drive and such and it did not drag. I picked that mast up in Indiana and traveled about 5 hours. the mast was fine. Use plenty of cushion and tape because when a boat trailer has no boat it jumps around a bit.

Not sure this is helpful but just letting you know it can be done safely and a whole lot cheaper if you can borrow a trailer.

tpcorrigan
E27 #850