• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Show us your recent Ericson photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve A

Member II
new arch

Installing new arch for radar/solar panels/BBQ's etch.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 456

Navman

Member III
turning 30

The Optimist II is turning 30 this year. After having her (1986 E-38) for our first season we couldn't be any happier. I decided to give her the total Spa package. Kudos to "Maine sail" on his very detailed procedure for bringing a faded hull back to life. Here are the before and after photos. Hope I've attached them correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_1013 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_1013 - Copy.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 69

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Kudos to "Maine sail" on his very detailed procedure for bringing a faded hull back to life.

Gorgeous!

Do you have a link to Maine Sail's procedure? I have a bit of "spa work" I want to do, as well.

Navman

Member III
I like shiny things

bgary,
Here is the link to Main sail and his very thorough description on the hows and whys. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html
He is very specific on what type of polisher and different compound, micro scratch removers and wax. Do not skimp on his direction and you will be pleased. I had though to begin with the 800 grit wet sanding as per his instruction for a really faded hull ( see photos). So I did a 3x4 section with 800 and then 1000 wet sand. I then did another section using just the compound and determined that I could skip the wet sanding. I bought the Makita polisher, all of the recommended bonnets, I used the 3M compound, then the Finesse It, and finally hand waxed with micro fiber rags using the Collinite fleet wax. It took me 2.5 days to do my 38 by myself and I was feeling very poorly ( sick). I had to work on though as I have a torn out kitchen at home which also needs my attention, so I had to get it done. I f I was feeling up to snuff I know I could have gotten it done in two days. I did one side in its entirety then moved my scaffold to the other and completed it. Once she is sp-lashed I am goping to get the 3" polished and do my decks, then she will really sparkle. I bought two of all of the wax and compound and finesse it, but used only one of each and had some left over. I will be returning the unused materials as they were expensive. I also bought two of each type of bonnet but again used only one of each.
Hope this helps and happy buffing to you!
P.S.
this guy Maine sail has some very informative and insightful articles on an array of boating subjects with excellent photo documentation

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The Optimist II is turning 30 this year. After having her (1986 E-38) for our first season we couldn't be any happier. I decided to give her the total Spa package. Kudos to "Maine sail" on his very detailed procedure for bringing a faded hull back to life. Here are the before and after photos. Hope I've attached them correctly.
Beautiful work! Makes my arms ache just looking at it! :)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
bgary,
Here is the link to Main sail and his very thorough description on the hows and whys.

Thank you, and, yes, Maine Sail has some amazingly useful info out there. Just hadn't seen this one.

My immediate goal is fairly modest - my blue sheer-stripe shows the "ghost" of the old state-registration numbers... the stripe has oxidized to the point where the unfaded parts are prominent, and I'd like to "bring it back", but want to do it carefully to make sure I don't go through the pigment and create bigger issues for myself.

I will read and absorb. Thanks!

Navman

Member III
Cove stripe

Christian,
Yes that is the original cove stripe. I kinda like the thin one, its different than most other Ericsons.

Navman

Member III
another great link

Here is another great link with a whole series of "how to" projects. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects I believe this is Main sail's work or he contributes. Re-mounted my refurbished bulkhead instruments using butyl tape as page suggested and it has turned out great. Am reading up on the process for cleaning the heat exchanger as that is my next project, then on to the infamous fuel tank inspection ports once she is launched.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Clean

Just to keep the theme of my original post, here are two photos of our Ericson after a recent trip. Hmmm, bleachy clean!:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 66

Steve A

Member II
Radar arch

Arch fully loaded with gear ( including spice garden). Let's go sailing!!
rotate image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.