• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shroud sizes for Olson 34

sjconnor

Simon Connor
Hi,

My tall rig Olson 34 has original rod rigging and I'm thinking that it would be prudent of me to replace them after all these years. I'll go with standard wire rigging that I can more easily tune myself.

Can anyone recommend what dia wire I should chose for the 3 side stays ? My forestay and backstay are standard so I can use the same dia that I have.

Much appreciated

Thank you,
Simon.

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
I replaced all my standing rigging on my O34 in the fall. Mine is a standard rig, but I was replacing existing 1X19 wire with new. I shipped all of mine to the rigger and they returned the attached to "copy exact". I would expect all your wire and turnbuckle sizes would be the same, but lengths longer. Sorry PDF is upside down :)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• StandingRiggingReplacement 20191031.pdf
    305 KB · Views: 16

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I mentioned this question to a friend with another O-34, and he said:
"Everything on mine is 9/32, except the 7/32 intermediates."

sjconnor

Simon Connor
Thank you guys, I was estimating 8mm. according to racushman's pdf 9/32 is 7mm (in new money)

Loren - what is the intermediates ? is it the shortest of the side stays or the middle one ?

garryh

Member III
9/32 on the 35-2 as well... probably standard after a certain sized boat. Had kinked backstay replaced... I had measured and requested 5/8 but rigger said it was actually 9/32

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sorry to seem so dense about the individual wire diameters, but my rigging gang has been coiled up and stored away for over two weeks. There is indeed a single 'lower' on the double spreader Olson rig. All three shrouds lead to the same deck plate.
(The Bruce King 80's Ericson's have double lowers. )