• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

shudder in my rudder!

oceanview

Member I
hello all. my 1974 E35 rudder seems to shudder when its turned to port. this only happens while the rudder itself is turning and only to port. any ideas?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Need more information, please

Could you tell us what you're doing when this happens - are you underway, sitting in the slip, or does it happen all the time, no matter what? That would probably help us think of something. How fast are you turning the wheel?

oceanview

Member I
thanks for helping footrope. it happens underway (power or sail) at any speed. i notice it most when dealing with a constant swell or the wake of a power boat. 4-6 shudders (vibrations ) in a second. the faster I turn the wheel the more likely it will happen. turning the wheel from say 1 oclock to 9 oclock is all it takes. only to port.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
This is not my area of expertise, but it seems like you might want to check your rudder shaft bearings, and also check under the cockpit for problems with the cables and sheaves. The hard part about checking the bearings is that unless you get in the water and wiggle the rudder around a little, it's hard to feel if there is excess play (rudder shaft looseness). There may be a cover over the top end of the shaft log that would be located in the center aft area of the cockpit. If you remove that cover and turn the rudder back and forth, you may be able to see it wiggle in the bearing. I'm not sure how your rudder tube is installed, though.

I suppose it could be a bent rudder shaft, too. Do you know if the boat has any grounding history? If it's not bent much, it may be hard to detect unless you drop the rudder.

I hope this helps.

oceanview

Member I
actually there is a tiller bracket mounted (and a tiller onboard) im not sure if it was ever the primary system, i hope not i read somewhere to stay away from tiller E35IIs as they were all raced hard. there is some play in that shaft. im not sure how its connected to the rudder post but they r in line with eachother. i was thinking of removing that bracket alltogether and looking into just an emergency back up.