• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Single Braid as Mainsheet

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I had a chance over the holidays to test my new mainsheet, which is Regatta Braid, a single braid line. It replaces the usual double braid, with its tough cover, durability and stiffness.

The idea was a line that is more supple, doesn't kink easily, and is particularly pleasant in the hand. I like very much the Regatta braid on my roller furler control line, which has stood up well to many miles. But how would it serve at 7/16ths, running through all the blocks of mid-boom sheeting and getting stuffed into a line bag?

First report: excellent. And the eye splice was remarkably easy to make.

regatta 2.JPG...regatta 1.JPG

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I didn't know single braid was an option. This is great news. Will yours eventually go through the clutch?

Gaviate

Member III
I've always presumed (was taught) that single braid was to stretchy to be acceptable for sheeting work (or any rigging for that matter). I will be very interested to follow your reports with further sea trials.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Stretch factor not an issue for me in a mainsheet, but I did look up the differences. Regatta is 3.3 percent, Sta-set is 2-4 percent, Sta-set X is 1-2 percent, Dyneema is <1 percent (my Dyneema halyards were $4/foot).

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ah, the picture must be confusing. I only use half of that double clutch, for the #1 reef line. The mainsheet goes direct to the winch from the deck organizer. If using the winch for the reef line, the mainsheet sticks temporarily in a nearby clam cleat.

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
Christian - thanks for sharing. me always looking for a value... looks like the price is about the same as Sta-Set... so the advantage is the easy hand?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Christian, watching you teach your daughter to cam cleat the mainsheet halyard after hauling it up, then go to the cockpit winch and pull it through...I don't understand...will the single braid slip through the mast cam cleat with direct vertical tension of mainsail halyard? I could understand the single braid as my mainsail halyard using my mast winch, then secured with mast cleat (dont have a cabin top mast halyard winch, only a main sheet winch).

Last edited:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Ah, mis-understood and mis-read. That may be a viable choice for my mainsheet/winch and hands!

paul culver

Member III
I can add a thumbs up for the Regatta braid. I've used it for both main and jib sheets for at least five years now. It seems to prefer flat coiling to figure eight. It works fine with the self tailing winch jaw and doesn't stiffen up over time.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That's what I've found. It falls into a pile, better for stuffing in a line bag. It doesn't seem to hold salt. When relaxed, it lies plump, making it a pleasure to grasp.

If there's a downside, it's more likely to snag on a protruding split ring, given its looser weave. But I long ago abandoned split rings in favor of split pins with the ends carefully bent.

cotter pin .JPG

markvone

Sustaining Member
There are a number of performance single braids available that use a lower stretch fiber than polyester. These are very common on race boats where low stretch and minimal kinking are ideal for mainsheets. The single braiding seems to give all of them a nice, soft, almost fluffy, feel that's really nice in your hand.

I'm using Alpha Ropes SSR single braid for my mainsheet.

It's a Dyneema SK 75 fiber mixed with Cordura. Like Regatta Braid, it's soft and flexible compared to double braid and doesn't kink. My setup is a two part 24/6:1 double tackle as used by on the Beneteau 36.7. The SSR is only about $0.25 per foot more in 10 mm and comes in four colors.
I have a tiny, dacron mainsail so the stretch reduction is not so important at the moment but I'm planning a longer boom and laminate mainsail in the future.

Mark.
B367 Mainsheet.png

CTOlsen

Member III
I've been using Regatta Braid on my headsails for about 10 years. It's easy on the hands, and very affordable. Since the boat gets hauled and covered each winter, the sheets get removed/flushed with water/stored. They remain in good shape today.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
There are a number of performance single braids available that use a lower stretch fiber than polyester. These are very common on race boats where low stretch and minimal kinking are ideal for mainsheets. The single braiding seems to give all of them a nice, soft, almost fluffy, feel that's really nice in your hand.

I'm using Alpha Ropes SSR single braid for my mainsheet.

It's a Dyneema SK 75 fiber mixed with Cordura. Like Regatta Braid, it's soft and flexible compared to double braid and doesn't kink. My setup is a two part 24/6:1 double tackle as used by on the Beneteau 36.7. The SSR is only about $0.25 per foot more in 10 mm and comes in four colors.
I have a tiny, dacron mainsail so the stretch reduction is not so important at the moment but I'm planning a longer boom and laminate mainsail in the future.

Mark.
View attachment 36728
Been trying to figure out what line was used on my mainsheet since I bought it in March. I believe this is it! Thanks Mark.