• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Size of whisker pole for an E 32-3

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pole Position

"J" measurement appears to be about 13' for your model.
For poling out a genoa you would need considerably more extension than you'd get with a stock spinnaker pole.
I suspect that an telescoping pole like a Forespar ADJ 7-15 might be a good start.
Better yet would be the Line Control model 10-18 EL-UTR.

The carbon fiber versions would be much easier to handle, but at a price.

Good discussion of this here:
http://www.mauriprosailing.com/Forespar/Forespar-Whisker-Pole.htm?gclid=CLL9nqSfnKgCFUY0QgodjCZAGQ

Loren

Last edited:

SeaRogue

Member II
thanks LOren

Loren,

Thanks for that rapid response. You are right about the cost of a carbon fiber pole, my first boat cost less than one of those poles !

What is the relationship between the J measurement and the length of the pole? At present my only jib is a 135 but that could change and I would want the flexability of a pole that could handle a 155.

The aluminum pole you first recommended is 2" in diameter with a max working length of 202 inches.

Can you help me undestand the difference between the two poles that you recommended, other than the rather large price difference?

Thanks again

"J" measurement appears to be about 13'.
For poling out a genoa you would need considerably more extension than you'd get with a stock spinnaker pole.
I suspect that an telescoping pole like a Forespar ADJ 7-15 might be a good start.
Better yet would be the Line Control model 10-18 EL-UTR.

The carbon fiber versions would be much easier to handle, but at a price.

Good discussion of this here:
http://www.mauriprosailing.com/Forespar/Forespar-Whisker-Pole.htm?gclid=CLL9nqSfnKgCFUY0QgodjCZAGQ

Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pole-ish concerns

Until one of the experts check in.....
Your stock (and legal) spinnaker pole length will not exceed the J measurement. Beings as how your boat is a real performance-cruiser there is a good chance that it has a spinnaker package from the factory, with a pole chocked on the deck. If not, not to worry.
Note that the weight and handle-ability of an extendable pole will vary with the price. (Yikes.)
:rolleyes:

Aside from the sailing part, you also need to consider how/where this pole will be stored on deck. The pole chocks that mount on stanchions are good, if the spacing is right. Some thinking and trying out fitting scenarios with a couple of bucks worth of pvc tubing might be in order.

Best,
Loren

SeaRogue

Member II
spinnaker pole

Loren,

You are quite right that my boat came with a spinnaker pole, which does me no good since I do not have a spinnaker to use it with, which is too short for use as a whisker pole.

The spinnaker pole lives vertically on the forward side of the mast on attachments for that purpose. I assume, perhaps not correctly, that the whisker pole can be stowed in the same position.

A related question is what the "legal" length of the whisker pole would be. Here is the language from the West Florida PHRF rule :

Whisker pole maximum length shall not exceed maximum rated Headsail LP.

Boats racing in a designated Non-Spinnaker race may use a whisker pole. Maximum allowable
length is equal to the maximum LP of the largest jib that the boat is rated for.

Adjustable length whisker poles shall have a 2-inch contrasting band indicating maximum allowable length. Whenin normal use, these poles shall not be extended beyond their maximum allowable length, and shall be attached to any point on the mast.

Note the reference to the "largest jib that the boat is rated for"?

It seems that I can have a whisker pole aboard that is longer than allowed as long as I only use the allowed length which are marked.

That leaves me with the questions:

What size jib is my boat "rated for"

What is the LP of both a 135 (which I use) and a 155 (or whatever jib my boat is rated for) ?

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
When you get a PHRF rating you have to say what the largest genoa will be in your inventory. Often they'll physically measure that sail. The bigger the genny, the faster the boat will go, the lower your rating will be.

They're just saying that if your boat has been rated to fly a 150% genoa, then the pole you can carry can be no larger than the LP measurement of that sail.

Last edited:

SeaRogue

Member II
thanks

tenders,

That makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for that definition of "rated for". Now, I need to determine the LP of a 135 genoa for my boat. I may have to measure it.

If I get a pole too long, I can always use only the allowable portion of its length.

So, the question now is, what size pole would be best for my E32-3 which may one day use a 150 genoa?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
"Shall not exceed" means that if you're going to race rated for a 135% genny but a carrying a 150%-capable pole, you're running the risk of getting protested or disqualified out.

If it comes down to a complaint, which of course will only happen if and when you start winning, "shall" in that verbiage means you "shall" not be able to get away with saying "trust us, we're not extending the pole more than we would for a 135 genny."

SeaRogue

Member II
winning

"If it comes down to a complaint, which of course will only happen if and when you start winning"

I wish I could expect complaints but I think I am safe from protests. Nevertheless, I want to be legal.

Here is the part of the rule that made me think that I could use only the legal part of the pole:

"When in normal use, these poles shall not be extended beyond their maximum allowable length, and shall be attached to any point on the mast."

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I think that rule is there to prevent people from bolting a contraption onto an otherwise legal pole to make it longer.

The other rule, "maximum length shall not exceed maximum rated LP," is pretty unequivocal to my eye. It doesn't say, for example, "maximum allowable length shall not exceed maximum rated LP"--but I'm not on a race committee.

Maybe, if push came to shove, you could plea-bargain a disqualification down to a re-rating to the 150% genoa rating (maybe 3 seconds a mile).

Or, use this as justification for the perfect solution - just get a 150 genny.

SeaRogue

Member II
Thanks

Thanks Loren and tenders for the information you provided. After doing my research and shopping around I found tha Loren was right on the mark in his recommendations.

I ordered the forespar LC 10-18 UTR

markvone

Sustaining Member
Adj whisker pole

SeaRogue,

I read the first 2 paragraphs of your PHRF regs as applying to FIXED length whisker poles only. 1. Can't use oversized (fixed) pole. 2. Pole length = rated jib LP. The last para is for adj length whisker poles only. There is no need for a black band on an adj whisker pole to mark "allowable" (rated) length if the first paragraph applies to adj poles and an over length pole is not allowed to be used. You can only be protested if you're spotted using the adj pole with the black band showing over-rated-length extension.

Mark

SeaRogue

Member II
Thanks

Mark,

Thanks for that info. I will be safe in any case because the pole that I ordered will be legal size even if fully extended.