• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sliding toe-rail cleats?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello All,
I have two toe-rail cleats on my E38 that are adjustable, that is they slide on the toe-rail and lock in position anywhere on the rail. I assume these are common on Ericsons? I have not seen them on any other boat and I would like to get a couple more. Anyone know who made them and where to get more? Thanks, RT

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Toe Rail Cleats

These are off the shelf items (Schaeffer, I think) that anyone can buy. They are available in sizes to fit varying track widths (3/4", 1", 1.25").

They were never part of the basic equipment, and were not offered as factory options (since they are really just a commodity), but many boats use them (especially those with outboard tracks). They are very handy for spring lines when at the dock or slip.

So, they cerainly are not E-boat specific, but I like them.

S

Mindscape

Member III
I use these as Seth described for spring lines and they work great. I think the niceest is the Schaefer because the pin is not in the middle of the cleat, which allows you to pass a line thru it. This is a nit, and there is at least one other one out there, I think it is a Barton.

I've got two now that Chris lent me his:egrin:

u079721

Contributing Partner
I had two of these on each rail, and couldn't imagine doing without them. I of course used them in tricky dock situations for spring lines, but more important was using them for fenders and fender boards as a way to get the load off of the life lines. If I was stuck alongside a pier with an onshore wind I would often use all four cleats on the dock side to take the load of a fender board and two large fenders.

Be sure to get the right size for your T rail.

Steve

Member III
Why did Ericson forget real mid-ship cleats?

:confused: This brings up a real basic question- why did Ericson not use real mid ship cleats. I'm sure in a hard blow the sail track cleats will pull off. We are in a slip, this question comes up often. Spring lines are essential, so what was their thinking? The toe rail could have been opened at the mid scupper by a foot and a full size cleat installed.. Just one of those little curiosities?

Steve
84 e35-3

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Defender

Hello All,
I have two toe-rail cleats on my E38 that are adjustable, that is they slide on the toe-rail and lock in position anywhere on the rail. I assume these are common on Ericsons? I have not seen them on any other boat and I would like to get a couple more. Anyone know who made them and where to get more? Thanks, RT

Defender had a really big discount on the 1-14" t-track variety at the Annapolis show when I got mine a few years ago.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
cleating thoughts

Hi Steve,
If you look at most mid ship solid-cast cleats, they are constantly at risk for catching sheets while tacking or jibing. A regular feature of DIY articles is some sort of SS/bronze wire bale for slipping over the cleat to shed lines or removable shaped blocks of wood to fit under each end of the cleat horn to shed lines... Stubbing your toe on one gets you extra credit.
Most boats intended for active sailing do not have these "extra" cleats for such reasons, IMO.

OTOH, you are absolutely right that tieing to a dock normally does require spring lines. Method "a" is to spring back from each end of the boat to a middle tie point on the dock, and "b" is to tie back from each end point on the dock to a mid-ship cleat on your boat. To make matters worse, most folks (me too) have used stanchion bases for this for years... and not all of these tubes are really meant for this kind of stress/force on a 24/7 basis. I have used a chain plate with no worries about strength, but then you get into chafe issues, albeit solveable with leather or carpet scraps.

I prefer the T-track cleats because they are removable, or the rail/deck lay-flat kind, and we have two of the later, and one of the former that I picked up cheap at a swap meet. :)

As to strength of the track. "No worries, mon." That track was made to take loads of up to, say, a thousand pounds... as your Ericson 35 barrels through squalls on the three week trip to Hawaii. :rolleyes:

This opinion worth...um, about what you usually pay for it.
;)

Cheers,
Loren

vbenn

Member III
cleats

I bought 2 Schaefer toerail cleats from Defender - - pricy but worth it as I now have dedicated cleats for my springlines. Suggest you shop around for best price. My only concern is excessive loading resulting in movement or complete separation of the cleat from the rail since they are not as robust as the bow and stern cleats.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue