• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Small Yacht Club Web Software Ideas

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our club is researching a change in software for our web site. After looking at what's out there, it seems like a lot club packages are aimed at larger social clubs with restaurants and bars. And then there are the ones aimed at clubs with sail training, racing, and dinghy programs.

We, on the other hand, have a 150 slip marina, floating clubhouse, fenced parking area, and our main need is way to let members communicate for chat or buying/selling stuff. And, setting up for BBQ's and other functions. Being all volunteer, we also really need an easy way to track maintenance projects and see that required work hours are correctly tallied.
It would be best to source a complete software package, but I have not found much.

Any of you sailors have any vendors to recommend for consideration?

Parrothead

Member III
I know a guy . . . .
. . . that provided and manages the software for Catalina Island's mooring system. I'll contact him today.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Both yacht clubs we belong to use Club Essentials. The one club, Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club, is completely volunteer driven and does not have a single paid employee. Chicago Columbia Yacht Club, on the other hand, does have a paid staff of servers, bartenders, and a management team. I brought up both as it appears to be a scalable solution. The only aspect of what it sounds like you need that I am not sure if it does is the capitol/maintenance component but, that stated, I only use the software as a member and am not an Admin.

Parrothead

Member III
My guy replied that his software is totally custom with a corresponding price. He and I agreed it wasn't really what you're looking for. Sorry.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for the input. We have a small committee working on and so far today has generated over 6 emails to me... and the day is young....
It's interesting how something that seems so simple in concept is so complicated in reality.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Our club is researching a change in software for our web site. After looking at what's out there, it seems like a lot club packages are aimed at larger social clubs with restaurants and bars. And then there are the ones aimed at clubs with sail training, racing, and dinghy programs.

We, on the other hand, have a 150 slip marina, floating clubhouse, fenced parking area, and our main need is way to let members communicate for chat or buying/selling stuff. And, setting up for BBQ's and other functions. Being all volunteer, we also really need an easy way to track maintenance projects and see that required work hours are correctly tallied.
It would be best to source a complete software package, but I have not found much.

Set up a Facebook group. Simple.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have friends that use FB, and say that they just accept the risks. Thing is, once they have your prose or pix, they own it. And unlike here where we know Sean will guard our data, FB barely answers to anyone, including the Federal gov't.
Not saying I would never use it (never.... is a long long time) but I am inclined not to do so.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
I have friends that use FB, and say that they just accept the risks. Thing is, once they have your prose or pix, they own it. And unlike here where we know Sean will guard our data, FB barely answers to anyone, including the Federal gov't.
Not saying I would never use it (never.... is a long long time) but I am inclined not to do so.
Just thought maybe a private group posting for what you described your YC NEEDED would fit. easy good way to communicate as a group. With out trying to reinvent the rudder. But I do understand your thinking.

Felicity

Member I

Our company makes custom apps, for a range of organisations from hospitals to tv broadcasters, to insurance companies. It might be worth a discussion. Often the flexibility of using Facebook for social, in conjunction with other third party tools like an app, can give you the best of both worlds