• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Solar Panels and Gear Transfer (completed 2.29.20)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No, I'm not selling the boat--or the house. I am just uncomfortable sitting on stuff I will not use, and would like it to find a home.

There are probably thousands of dollars of retail supplies here. All of it is serviceable (no garbage), some has never been used.

The deal is: one person to pick up all of it up from my house in Pacific Palisades. Subsequent to that, of course, folks could work out who needs what. I just can't face dealing with it piecemeal.

Solar system. Photos shows four panels, one folding, probably circa 2010. Prostar 15 Controller and all Nomex included. Two of the big panels have stanchion mounts and are adjustable. Also shown, Magma Grill, complete. Boarding step, designed to suspend from gunwale track (fittings included).

Solar system.JPG...Solar ProStar 15 Controller ans wiring.JPG

Bench A: Boxs of assorted fittings (blocks, cars), random components, inverter, refrig fans etc.

Bench A.JPG

Bench B: WM bilge pump (I don;t need four of them), many electrical switch, relays etc.

bench B.JPG

Bench C: Dehumidifier, 20 pounds of random SS bolts etc, old shore power cord (excellent wire source).

bench c.JPG...Ishore power cable ,   wire source.JPG

Two new spinner bilge pumps, new in box. (I still have a Rule 1500 as a backup). The VHF radioo is an Icom M602 that came with my present boat. Works fine, you just have to like white. These once listed for $900, ho ho.

centfrig pumps, unopened.JPG...Icom M602 radio.JPG

Simrad wheel pilot, for parts. Some old Horizon instrument parts.

simrad wheel pilot complete and old instruments.JPG

Send a private message if interested. There is no charge, just take all of it.

Attachments

• centfrig pumps, unopened.JPG
    centfrig pumps, unopened.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
You wouldn't happen to have a package of nautical flag printed cocktail napkins or a set of four plastic margarita glasses, would you? I didn't see them in there.

debonAir

Member III
Tempting, but you're a long drive from Boston! Why not bring it all to a place like Minnies and get a few boat-bucks in exchange? That way the parts will at least get recycled quickly.

Does get me thinking of all the old/obsolete gear I have in the shed which I could donate to someone here. Probably nothing anyone would want though but I'll take an inventory this spring

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some folks enjoy the "swap meet" atmosphere more than others -- a lot more -- for some a lot less.
While I only attend one every other year or so, it's fun to shop and talk with other sailors. Something to do in April when it's drizzling and 40 degrees in the morning at 5 am. :( OK, some years less fun than others.

Anyhow, if I can find time and a co-driver I do plan on attending the one at the Fisheries parking lot in Seattle this coming April. Our "boat closet" in the basement still has treasures to pass along........
:)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The economics is interesting, sort of. I took my old sails to Minney's. "Very good" shape", full length battens, 10+years old, somewhat faded, stitching still good. They apologized and gave me $250 and a free shirt. They had hundreds of sails in inventory, a storage and inventory challenge. To show them, somebody has to haul the sail out onto a suitable patio, then put it back. The inventory was growing--not a good sign.

Now consider a 38-foot yacht. It's expensive, the slip is no joke, the owner wants to go places. His friends are 40-80 years old, not enthusiastic folks with their first job and 6-month old babies. Do they want used, faded, bargain sails for their boat? Nah.

Once, even close to city centers, there was land, beaches, eccentric old boatyards with lax regulations, and you could fix up a boat you could barely afford and beg or borrow components, and all around were kids or old flatulents or fellow travelers who looked on with commentary or even pitched in. Used gear and used boats were everywhere, you just took the lines you needed from discard piles and for a mooring, a pile of cinderblocks chained together. Or that old mushroom anchor over there in the mud bank, been there 10 years, let's dig it out.

When I go back to Barnegat Bay or Cape Cod now, the places I revisit from memory are rows of condos or mansions, and the beaches are bulkheads.
The bullrushes are gone. The sand roads are paved.

Of course the engines actually start, the boats don't sink, and there is no lingering scent of dry rot in the boats for sale.

Minney's Yacht Surplus is in the business of the past. It seems inevitable that they'll soon be part of it. ,

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Neil ("Parrothead") picked up the gear this morning.

He is now caretaker, and if any of the stuff has application for you drop him a private message.