• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Solution for ill fitting sheets (bed)

Galley_Slave

Member II
I thought of a simple solution for the annoying problem of trying to make regular sheets fit the boat's beds. We use the aft cabin for sleeping, but I also did the same thing for the V berth for the occasional sleep over guests.

I took the foam padding sold in stores such as KMart that fit over an existing mattress. I cut it to the correct size of the existing mattress/cushion in the boat. Where the padding was too short I used the extra material I cut off and used some glue and duct tape on the bottom to hold it together.

Then, I used two flat sheets with right sides together and sandwiched the foam sheet in between them. I proceeded to cut the flat sheets about 3 inches larger than the foam sheet shape and then pinned them together. Pinking sheers help here as they prevent fraying somewhat. After removing the foam sheet, I sewed the seams using the pins as a guide. It's simple straight sewing. Nothing fancy required.

Finally, I turned the sheets right side out and stuffed the foam sheet back in between the sheets. No need for any kind of secure closure because of the shape of the berth, the narrow end prevents the flat sheets from riding up.

No more contortions trying to make the beds.

Attachments

• Bedding project 1.jpg
    Bedding project 1.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Bedding project 2.jpg
    Bedding project 2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Bedding project 3.jpg
    Bedding project 3.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Bedding project 4.jpg
    Bedding project 4.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 158

polackrm

Member I
Good Idea

This is probably an idea that I will use as I already have purchased a 3" matress topper. I bought one of the new closed cell foam units from Overstock.com, the prices have come down to a realistic price and I thought that I would give it a try. I am very happy with it and now will not have to replace my old foam cushions as the combination of the 2 units makes for a very nice and comfortable bed. Bob, e29 "Pegasus" Port Angeles, WA.

Galley_Slave

Member II
That might be an affordable solution. As we get older, the mattress gets less comfortable. There's an interesting looking system but I'm sure it's very expensive. (Ad in Cruising World). I've heard that closed foam is very comfortable but it gets hot. Can you shed any light on that?
I bought one of the new closed cell foam units from Overstock.com, the prices have come down to a realistic price and I thought that I would give it a try.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Galley_Slave

Member II
Bill, our last Ericson (32), we made our own cockpit cushions using closed cell foam pool floats. We used a hack saw blade. Actually, Neal cut it and I made the sunbrella covers, but I watched him cut it. It looked pretty easy. The foam sheet I used for my bed was thin enough to use scissors. I'm sure the 3 inch foam would work with the hack saw. The cockpit cushion foam was about 2 inches.

polackrm

Member I
Sorry I didn't mean to lie.

I was in such a hurry when I responded that I wasn't really thinking about the name of the foam that I used. The real name is memory foam and is readily available from Overstock.com and a few others, as I said the prices have really come down and they are now very affordable. They come in a variety of sizes and I just bought the one that would completely cover my forepeak and then cut it down. I used some old blankets and laid everything out on the dock and then just used a razor knife, it is not a professional cut but it was what I had available at the time. A hacksaw blade might do a better job. I was also worried about the heat so I laid a light sleeping bag down over the top before I made the bed up, I would tend to think that a regular matress pad, cut down, would also serve the same purpose. The way that I did it keeps the forepeak as one unit so when I want to access the storage underneath it is kind of a hassle but when I'm sleeping it sure is nice. I have taken the pad out a few times and aired it out and I don't seem to be having any problems with mold or moisture problems although there may be some at later dates. The pads, besides coming in different sizes, comes in different thicknesses according to what you would want. I investigated before I bought and the general consensus was a 2" pad would be about all that you would need, but my basic foam is original equipment on my '73 e-29 so it is very very soft so I went with the 3" for a little extra support. I'm not sure if this is the best way to go but with the cost and ease of set up I thought that I would give it a try and I have been very happy with it so far. I set this up last November and slept on it all winter and everything seems to be alright. Bob e-29 "Pegasus" Port Angeles, WA.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Electric knife

We replaced the foam in our V-berth several years ago using the old foam as templates. Drew the outine with a magic marker and used the electric kitchen knife to cut it. Works great..

FL Dave

Cutting Foam

I just finished the last cushion for Chance Encounter (E31 Independence) -- two settees seats and backs, port settee insert in hanging locker, two v-berth cushions, seat insert, v-berth insert. The boat had only one soggy piece of foam when we got her.
For cutting foam of any type I use an electric carving knife (like you use on Thanksgiving turkey). Gives great control and does all the work.

Dave